Tuesday, November 17, 2009

President Clueless or I'm sure glad that I didn't go to Harvard

President Clueless or I’m sure glad that I didn’t go to Harvard
Have any of you been paying any attention to the gaffs that our current president has been making lately? So far, November, in my mind, has been gaff city for him.

First, there was the Veterans’ Day gaff. The photo has been all over the Internet by now and if you haven’t seen it you must have no friends. The photo was taken apparently during the playing of the National Anthem at Arlington National Cemetery on Veterans’ Day, that would be why the generals were saluting and the other civilian in the photo with President Clueless had his hand over his heart.

President Clueless, in a pathetic attempt to start a new trend, had both of his hands clasped together in front of his body. I learned that you place your hand over your heart when our National Anthem is played when I was a student at Stoneman Elementary School.

So much for a Harvard education.

I was watching one of the Korean language channel’s news program last night [Korean Broadcasting System, November 17th evening news broadcast] after I watched the History Channel’s World War II in High Definition episode. Watching the History Channel made me feel very good and proud to be an American.

Anyway and more to the point of our stumbling President Clueless.

The news program spent, I think, three to five minutes on President Clueless and how he embarrassed America; that was the only conclusion I could draw from the segment. They showed him bowing deeply to the Emperor of Japan when he was in Japan last week.

Then, the program compared his greeting to that of President Hu Jintao of the Peoples’ Republic of China and President Lee Myung-bak of the Republic of South Korea greeting the Emperor.

Neither President bowed at all, not even a slight nod.

To make things worse from our point of view since the program was broadcast throughout the Korean peninsula, the news broadcast dug out an old file photo of General Douglas MacArthur who had Emperor Hirohito standing next to him, looking incredibly meek. The contrast to President Clueless was clear and unmistakable; he was being ridiculed by one of our nation’s allies as being either stupid, clueless [my choice], or a buffoon. You can also insert your own adjective of choice here. The United States still has freedom of speech and expression.

I learned, probably in a Naval History class in Navy Reserve Officer Training Corps at my beloved University of Utah, that a United States warship does not lower its flag first to any nation I think the phrase was something like, “the United States lowers its flag to no nation.” That was probably said by someone like Stephen Decatur or Isaac Hull. Our Navy will acknowledge when another nation’s warship lowers its flag first.

I also learned that our diplomats do not bow to foreign rulers. I wonder why President Clueless never learned these concepts; after all he is smart, he went to Harvard.

I know that George W. Bush and John McCain would have never stumbled like President Clueless.

Then, as if to highlight the gaffs, the news broadcast had a sport feature of Yung Kim, a South Korean skater, who just won the women’s skating gold medal at Skate America on Sunday. I think the feature purposefully included a shot where Ms Yung had her hand over her heart as they played the South Korean National Anthem.

An athlete, Ms Yung got it right.

So much for a Harvard education.

President Clueless, no one will think of you as a great or even a world leader if you continue to kowtow and act as Stepin Fetchit.


Full and Fair Disclosure: I am a veteran and I proudly served as an officer in the United States Navy. I volunteered to serve my country. I love my country and everything that it stands for. Some of President Clueless’ closest advisors think people like me are dangerous perhaps because we love our country so much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home