Sunday, November 22, 2009

Where oh where is my new Lenovo laptop?

Where oh where is my new Lenovo laptop?
Just where exactly is my new laptop anyway?

Based on the UPS package tracking service, I think it is in Taiwan now or was when the tracking information was last updated. I have no idea when it will arrive in the States let alone at my flat. I will admit that the package has seen more of China than I have.

I don’t see that as being a great benefit for me. Each time the package is handled increases the possibility of damage and therefore delays in me being able to use it.

Lenovo notified UPS that they could pick up the laptop on November 16th. That was two or three days after I ordered it. That, in and of itself, was hardly remarkable in my mind. I had, after all, ordered a standard model with only one change; I added Bluetooth.

UPS entered the laptop in its package tracking data base on the 19th in Shanghai and then the travel began. It next went to Qing Dao, Qing Dao is in China, then back to Shanghai. From Shanghai, it went back to Qing Dao.

By last night, it had gone to Tao Yuan in Taiwan. Taiwan is closer to the States than Shanghai so we were making progress.

This morning, I checked to see where it was. The laptop was now in Incheon, Korea. After watching the NASCAR race, I discovered that it was now back in Tao Yuan but there was no indication that it ever left Incheon.

My tracking information says that I have “expedited service.” I’m sure glad that I don’t have regular service. If I had regular service, the laptop might get here in time for my birthday in May after a long ocean voyage on clipper ship or possibly a large junk.

About now, I was starting to think that Larry, Moe, and Curly were running the UPS shipping department in China.

I thought things had gotten as low as they possibly could.

I was wrong; things were much worse than I thought. I made the classic mistake of forgetting or ignoring Murphy’s Law. Murphy’s Law postulates that if something can go wrong, it will go wrong.

Lenovo sent me an email that began, “Dear Valued Customer.”

Holy crap, this is bad stuff.

It appears that there was a really tiny, almost insignificant, we don’t know how it happened but we still make great reliable products error in manufacturing. [Cue laugh track now.] It seems that my laptop and a bunch of others were manufactured with Windows Vista instead of the Windows 7 Professional 64 bit operating system that I ordered and paid for.

Fiddley dee, I do declare that is the funniest thing I have heard all month.

Oh, Lenovo has offered to make things right with me and the others who are suffering through their problem. Lenovo is generously sending me a CD with complete instructions, hopefully in English that I can use to reimage the operating system. Reimaging si a fancy word for removing the evil and vile Windows Vista system and installing a clean copy of Windows 7. They are also sending me an empty box so I can ship my laptop to one of their depots so someone at Lenovo can reimage the operating system.

Oh yes, because I am a “valued customer,” Lenovo is going to graciously extend my warranty by all of one full year beyond what I purchased when I ordered the system.

What a pile of crap.

I ordered the laptop in the middle of November. I was planning on having it here by the end of the month.

That ain’t gonna happen now.

The laptop is in Taiwan now or at least I think it is based on UPS tracking data. If I am lucky, I will get sometime next week. Remember, we have Thanksgiving this week so that is one less day to deliver the package.

Once the laptop arrives, I have to repack it and ship it off to a Lenovo depot that is likely to be on the other side of the country in one of those free shipping boxes that hasn’t arrived yet. The free shipping package is supposed to arrive by the 25th.

Notice that I didn’t say which month?

After I ship it off to Lenovo, it will take time to get there. Package volume at UPS will be increasing because of Christmas. By now, I well into December. Assuming Lenovo’s repair time estimate of five business days is anything close to accurate; my returned shipment is going to get dumped into the height of the Christmas shipping crush.

More chance for damage that will require more time to repair.

The Fiasco Fallout
Would anyone be surprised if I said that I had lost all confidence in Lenovo now?

I have.

I was talking with a game design instructor at school on Friday about small form factor desktop PCs. I wanted to pick his brain because I am going to be buying some PCs and a Mac for the computer room and study at my fraternity at the University of Utah after the first of the year.

He asked what type of machine I was thinking about. I said a Lenovo; remember, this is Friday evening now.

My friend said that it didn’t really matter which manufacturer that I bought the PCs from since all of the parts were the same. An Intel Duo Core processor is the same on any machine. The same is true for an ATI Radeon or nVidia graphics card. He took me to the Newegg.com web site to show how much less expensive the PCs could be.

My friend was right. I could get an identical machine, based on the internal components, for less money by ordering from Newegg.com.

Fast forward to late Sunday afternoon, I think I will be ordering three or four small form factor PCs from Newegg.com after the first of the year for the fraternity.

Saving money has such a sweet sound to itself doesn’t it?


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home