Sunday, September 19, 2010

I had a wonderful Saturday

I had a wonderful Saturday
It was a good day for me for many reasons.

My favorite barista at the local Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf is back at work now. Tihana had been out on maternity leave.

The quality of my ice blendeds had declined as her absence grew longer. I was so put off by the poor quality of the ice blendeds that I had stopped going to the Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf. My pile of loose change on top of my dresser had grown substantially. It had to have been close to USD$12 or $13. That is a lot of quarters, dimes, and nickels.

I went to the Coffee Bean to pick up some semi-exotic coffee for my oldest Internet friend Lara who lives in South Africa. Lara loves to drink really good coffee that she usually can’t find at home. Her personal favorite type of coffee is strong and dark.

Personally, I am a medium type of coffee drinker and I prefer decaffeinated coffee because it will not increase my blood pressure.

Lara said that she doesn’t have time to enjoy a good cup of coffee now. Her life is too hectic. Lara’s life has always been hectic and, in our fifteen years of chatting and complaining and misunderstanding each other, she has always found some time for a cup of the coffee that I send her.

I will send the box off on Tuesday since it fits with my schedule to run around a bit that day. With any sort of luck, the box should arrive for her sometime in the second week in October.

I was particularly lucky when it came to picking out the coffee; all of the bags have expiration dates of at least a year or longer. Lara is getting a new coffee, Bali Blue Moon, along with two of her favorites, Viennese Blend and Sumatra Mandheling.

Perfectomundo.

The MINI and Me

As some of you may remember, I don’t like the MINI’s digital odometer because I can’t enjoy the slow rollover of the six or seven number wheels at one time.

Doug said I should just get over it and move on. “It’s a digital world Dad.”

I’m trying to move on. It will take some time.

I blinked and missed watching the odometer flash over to 4,000 miles. For the record, the car was in traffic and I had my eyes on the traffic and the pored at the time. 4,000 miles isn’t that much of a significant event for me.



On the other hand, the MINI has lots of toggle switches, knobs, buttons, and dials. Enough to keep me happy and satisfied. I really like the toggle switches that are surrounded by steel frames so that I don ‘t hit one by accident like opening the top when I am driving on the freeway.

The speedometer has seven warning or indicator lights or dials alone and the tachometer has another six indicator lights.

More perfectomundo.

American Football
Our teams were victorious over the weekend.

My old high school was victorious on Friday night. My brother and I played on the football team; he played longer than I did because I injured my knee and stopped playing.

The one of Princess’s school, the University of South Carolina, won on Saturday. They played Furman and won convincingly. South Carolina was ranked Number 13 in the nation before the game.

Our University of Utah was ranked at Number 14 before its crushing victory over New Mexico, 56 to 14. Next Saturday, our Utes will play San Jose State University at Rice Ecceles Stadium in Salt Lake City.

November looks like a challenging month for the Utes, they play Texas Christian University in Salt Lake City on November 6th . They travel to South Bend to play Notre Dame on the 13th. Oh yes, then there is the game with Brigham Young University at the end of the season on Salt Lake.

Utah Tops New Mexico, 56-14
Terrance Cain was 20 for 23 for 248 yards and 3 touchdowns


Sept. 18, 2010
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) -Terrance Cain might have to give up Utah's starting quarterback job when Jordan Wynn gets healthy.

But if Cain does end up heading back to the bench, he'll have a record to take with him.

Cain completed 20 of 23 passes to set a school record for completion percentage in a game and Shaky Smithson capped a three-touchdown surge in the third quarter with a 73-yard punt return as No. 14 Utah beat New Mexico 56-14 on Saturday night.

"It's great to have that stat but the most important stat is to get the victory," said Cain, who completed 87 percent of his passes. "That's all I'm worried about."

Cain finished with 248 yard and a career-high three touchdowns for the Utes (3-0, 2-0 Mountain West Conference). He broke the completion percentage record held by his quarterback coach, Brian Johnson.

Wynn started Utah's first game but has sat out the last two with a sprained thumb. "The receivers ran great routes," he said. "The offensive line was holding them great. Running backs, tight ends and receivers were making great catches so it was just my job to get them the ball. They're working their butts off to get open so I just have to get them ball."

After A.J. Butler returned a fumble 27 yards for touchdown to pull the Lobos (0-3, 0-1) within 21-7 to open the third quarter, the Utes responded quickly.

"If we let the turnover and the touchdown get us down, it's a momentum shift," Cain said. "We had to get the momentum right back and strike back. Then our defense got pumped and made a great play and it just started from there."

Cain found Jereme Brooks for a 75-yard score and on New Mexico's next possession, linebacker Matt Martinez went 36 yards with an interception return for a score.

Smithson followed with his touchdown and finished with 223 total return yards.

"You really don't want to think too much," he said. "You just want to execute whatever the coach calls. And I know my teammates are going to make great blocks, and I all have to do run the ball, then just make a couple people miss. All the great special teams players just make a couple of people miss."

New Mexico played without starting quarterback B.R. Holbrook because of a knee injury. Replacement Brad Gruner went 3 for 8 for 33 yards and ran for 32 yards before leaving with an injury.

New Mexico has been outscored 180-31 to start the season in a stretch that has included two ranked teams.

"That was a very good Utah team, very deserving of the No. 14 ranking," Lobos coach Mike Locksley said. "I am disappointed that we didn't play as well as I had hoped we were going to play. We just finished a very rough three-game stretch."


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home