Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Road Tripping V1.0

Road Tripping V1.0
I went road tripping today. I think road tripping sounds so much more dignified than gratuitous joy riding.

Doug had urged me to take a road trip during my break. I decided against going last week because I had class on Monday, a meeting at school on Tuesday, and a visit with Dr. D on Friday. This week would be better for me.

I decided to cruise down the coast to La Jolla for lunch at the Prep Kitchen. Santa Barbara seemed to be too cool for a drive. As it was, most of my drive was in cool conditions. It never really warmed up today. It was cloudy and overcast all day. The high for the day during the drive was a balmy 75F / 24C. that lasted about five minutes and then the temperature plunged into the High 60sF / 18sC.

The drive to La Jolla was a closed top affair. It was nasty looking outside. It was dull also. The ride goes through Camp Pendleton and there were no marines in the field today; not even some helicopters in the area.

I had looked up the Prep Kitchen before I left the flat but I couldn’t find it when I got there. I guess I wrote the address down wrong.

Anyway.

I ended up at the Aroma Café, which is at the corner of Prospect and Fay in La Jolla. It’s in the old Hard Rock Café location if you are familiar with La Jolla. It is right across the street from my former employer that went belly up in 2009.

It seems as if the Aroma Café is new and still trying to find its way gastronomically speaking. The service was about average. The food was good, not great. It was filling. I had a roast turkey sandwich and a cup of soup. Remember, it was cool today.

I might go back if I was in La Jolla sometime in the future but I would definitely do a much better job of writing down the address for the Prep Kitchen, which would be my first choice for dining.

As I was on my way back to Redondo Beach, the outside air temperature kept slowly creeping up as I was going through North San Diego County. When it hit 72F, I decided to stop and put the top down. It doesn’t work very well if you try to take the top down when you are driving at 65 miles an hour.

I now have 42 hours and change driving with my top down on the MINI.

I was very glad that I had my University of South Carolina Gamecocks hoodie on today. The temperature did hit a high of 75F but that lasted for about five minutes in Long Beach. By the time I pulled into my building, it was 66F.

I did have some fun and enjoyment on the road trip. I’ll probably take another trip soon.

Where I won’t be going
I won’t be going to Adult Con 2010 or Hemp Con. They are both this weekend at the Los Angele Convention Center as I recall from the highway billboards today. Normally, neither event would appeal to me.

This weekend is our Patriot Day weekend and it seems like the wrong time to me for these events. Patriot Day is our remembrance of the attack on the United States by Arab terrorists on September 11th.

Teaching
I have to make a run out to school on Thursday so I can pick up my textbooks for the coming quarter. I know I could have swung by the school today but that was not the point of things.

After I pickup my textbooks, I’m going to swing behind the Orange Curtain and have lunch with Doug at the Original Tommy’s Hamburgers in the South O. C. This is why I skipped having lunch at Albertacos in Mission Viejo [No. 8 combination and a medium drink].


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home