Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Mr. Chips Moment

Mr. Chips Moment
I had a Mr. Chips moment at school last week.

I had given one of my former students some suggestions on topics for her bachelor’s thesis. My student has never been one to think actively about her class work. Usually, her course projects in my classes have either been completed, poorly I might add, the night before or in the minutes before she was to present the project.

By suggesting some topics to her, I was hoping against hope that she might find one that caught her interest and would even begin thinking about it. She wandered into my Friday evening class last week to tell me that she was really happy with one of the topics and that she had already started to research it further.

On her way out of my class, she turned, smiled, and said, “Good one Reinhardt.”

That made me feel very good.

I had successfully reached a student and got her thinking about her thesis a quarter early. Maybe I am a good teacher after all.

Monday Was Earthquake Day
Monday was earthquake day at the beach.

I think I slept through the first earthquake in the swarm of ten or eleven quakes that were centered in an area about four or five miles off the coast of Hermosa Beach, about five or six miles from the flat. The first one was in the early morning hours around 2:00 AM or so. It was a 3.5 on the Richter Scale. There some aftershocks that ranged from 1.5 to 2.3.

There were two, 1.8s aftershocks during the day. There was also a 2.3 quake and a 2.7 quake. These quakes preceded and I am not certain if that is the proper description or term to use here a 3.7 quake that hit a 5:00 PM.

I was typing on the computer when the quake struck. There was no rolling motion with these quakes. It was more a stiff shaking sensation.

Naturally, there were some more aftershocks that included a 2.7 quake, a 2.3 and a bunch of aftershocks in the 1.8 to 1.5 range.

I suppose the most troubling thing to me was the quakes seemed to be centered on an unmarked fault line at the USGS earthquake web site. Of course, the fault line could have been too minor to warrant a place on the map. After all, Southern California is earthquake country. Alternatively, this could have been an unknown fault line because it had had no significant activity in recent memory.

If I wanted to avoid earthquakes, I would live in Salt Lake City.

Election Day
One of the great benefits of the primary election was the end of robot political phone calls. It will also make the end of political junk mail that filled my mailbox during the campaign season. I was getting five to six political phone calls a day.

I voted around 9:00 AM or about two hours after the polls opened. I was the eleventh person registered in the political party to have cast his or her vote. That didn’t seem like much of a turnout to me.

Break Weather

The weather is not cooperating to make my quarter break pleasant. The local weather pattern is usually described as low clouds and fog along the coast that may stay around all day. Another description is June gloom.

Today was the earliest that the sun made an appearance at my flat. It became sunny at about 2:30 PM. It will probably be gone by 5:00 PM or so.

So much for sunny Southern California and living at the beach today.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home