Monday, October 03, 2011

Buzzing around the Los Angeles Freeways

Buzzing around the Los Angeles Freeways
I was out buzzing around on the local freeways over the weekend. It was warm, sunny, and slightly breezy.

Perfect for driving with the top down as I was.

I was on one freeway and I had to slow for construction. I think half of the stimulus program must have been spent on Los Angeles Freeway repairs.

A guy pulled up next to me in a 5 or 7 series late model BMW sedan. It looked nice and had those wide low profile tires. He was starting to pull ahead of me when his right rear tire exploded in a loud bang or pop.

I’m not certain which; I had the radio on and my station was playing a favorite song of mine so the volume was cranked up.

Anyway, I immediately slowed so I could let him pull over. I was hoping her would get through my lane and off to the side of the road. It looked as if I was watching a slow motion film of the tire coming off of the wheel. He crossed in front of me riding on the wheel rims. Sparks were flying and I could hear the wheel grinding on the pavement.

It was almost like a NASCAR crash only without the smoking tires and car decals and stickers and stuff.

It took forever for him to finally get off the main road and on to the shoulder.

I was extremely happy the tire failed at a slower speed. If it had happened at normal freeway speeds, I might not be here. I might have been in a hospital.

Weather in Southern California and the MINI
I had to drive to school on last Friday. [See MINI JAX posting] The weather gods had turned against me and the MINI. There was thunder and lightning and rain. Large rain drops.

I put on my windshield wipers and the wiper blades disintegrated. They fell apart. This was not what I was expecting to happen. The car is only fifteen months old. That is way too soon to replace wiper blades.

Maybe I have been spoiled by owning a Honda.

Tomorrow, I am going into the dealership to have the wiper blades replaced.

I think this Summer was cooler than last year.

I have a simple weather gauge.

Last year, I was able to drive home from school after class, around 9:45 PM or so, with the top down and not have to turn on the heater for a couple of days. This year, I haven’t been able to do that at all.


Be well and stay happy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home