Sunday, September 10, 2006

Star Trek 40th Anniversary

Star Trek – 40th Anniversary
Star Trek, one of my favorite televisions shows of all time, is celebrating its 40th Anniversary this week. That made me think of when I first came in contact with the USS Enterprise, NCC- 1701 and Captain James T. Kirk.

It would have been in the late Summer of 1968.

I was a Lieutenant (junior grade) and the Gunnery Officer on the good ship USS Leonard F. Mason, a destroyer built in World War II and soon to be the top gun destroyer in the United States Navy’s mighty Seventh Fleet.

I should point out that being the Top Gun Destroyer had nothing to do with pilots and planes and Tom Cruise. It meant we were the best at providing naval gunfire support to the United States and other allied forces ashore in South Viet Nam and harassing the North Viet Namese coastal barge traffic.

Anyway and back to the point of the recollection.

I was watching the officer’s movie which was two television episodes from a show called Star Trek. Most of the off duty officers were watching the movie as well; there was nothing else to do except stand watch or sleep.

After the first episode was over and the steward was changing the reel of film, the Captain turned to me and asked, “Chuck, think we’ll be able to shoot like that some day?” meaning the Enterprise on Star Trek where every shot hit the enemy vessel. Then, he and all of the other officers had a good laugh at my expense.

Full and fair disclosure, the Captain and I never really got along well.

Just before the second episode started, the Captain said he wished he had a communications officer like Captain Kirk did; he’d even settle for one as good looking as Uhura on the Mason. That made Stan the communications officer who was sitting next to me feel swell I think.

Pop Quiz: How many times did I see a Star Trek episode with the Captain again?

El Gringo Restaurant
Doug and I went to a new local Mexican restaurant called El Gringo on Friday for lunch. I had a “buy one – get one free” meal coupon. We figured that we couldn’t lose on the offer.

We were right.

Doug had two chicken tacos, rice, and beans. He was in his “cut back eating beef mode”; we were going to the Brazilian churrascarria on Saturday for dinner and it featured all the beef and meat you want to eat.

I had two soft carne asada beef tacos, rice, and beans. The tacos were double sized so I had more than enough food to eat.

Our food was excellent and we agreed that the food was on a par with Albertacos. The fact that it was only a mile from my house was an epic plus for me. I had previously been going to Baja Fresh for my Sunday take out dinners. Now, I will be going to El Gringo for all of my local Mexican food needs.

I think the feature that sold us on the place was that it had a server who spoke English as a primary language and wore shorty shorts that had the words, “El Gringo” across her butt. We also got to eat off of ceramic plates with steel utensils instead of paper and plastic at Albertacos.

Doug recommended El Gringo to his friend Robin at dinner on Saturday. Robin has to visit the Honda Motor Corporation headquarters in Torrance regularly. It would be easy for him to drive on over to El Gringo for lunch. Doug compared El Gringo was being a cross between Albertacos and Wahoo’s Fish Tacos.

I do regret not taking my camera with me on Friday to record a photo of El Gringo. I’ll try to correct that deficiency tonight.

Woman of the Moment
We are running low on KT So photos and will complete her tenure as the Woman of the Moment on Wednesday. The next Woman of the Moment will be Yukie Nakama.




Pop Quiz Answer: None.

My Brother
I got a phone call from my brother on Friday.

My brother is going to be in town next Tuesday and we are going to get together for dinner. We have been going to Kincaid’s on the pier in Redondo Beach for the last few times he has been for dinner. Kincaid’s is an excellent sea food house with a killer sunset view.

I usually sit with my back to the sunset. As a sailor, I have seen more than my fair share of killer sunsets as the Mason sailed the Pacific Ocean. There is nothing like a sunrise or sunset from the bridge of a ship in the middle of the ocean when all you can see are clouds and ocean.

I decided that we would try a new place for him on Tuesday.

We will go to L. A. Food Show in Manhattan Beach. I have been going here for over four years now and neither I nor any of my guests have had a bad meal. I was introduced to the place by the Princess’ friend Sara from MBA school during the Summer vacation of their first year. It had just opened and one of Sara’s friends from high school was working there. So the Princess and I met Sara there for lunch; great meal.

L. A. Food Show is only in Manhattan Beach. It was created by the men who founded California Pizza Kitchen. It was supposed to be the test facility for a new chain of casual dining restaurants. Unfortunately, the chain idea never panned out but this place has done very well. It serves what I would call American comfort food with a California – Asian influence. I really enjoy the food and portions. I know what I am eating.

Churrascarria
We went to a churrascarria last night. We were Doug, his friend Robin, and me. I took some photos and I will post them during the week sometime. I am recharging the camera batteries now.

I had invited my friend Sharon to join us because she knows the three of us and you can never have too many hot Asian chicks with you. Unfortunately, she was busy with other things. Doug wanted to invite his girl friend but I suggested that maybe he should pass for last night.

I was very happy that it was just three men. I would have been soooo busted for staring at other women last night by Sharon and I would’ve been faced with the prospect of the long and silent ride home from her. For some reason that now escapes me, one of the largest groups there were Asian Americans. Our table was close to the salad bar so I had more than one opportunity to see the young women wander about.

I think the food was well prepared and tasty. Since it is an all you can eat format, there was plenty of food and we did not leave hungry. The beef was not on a par with Morton’s but we knew that going in.

The service was erratic at times. I had wanted to try the chicken and sausage that Doug and Robin had earlier in the night and said was very good; I was still finishing my salad bar plate. We asked our server to have the meat cutter bring the sausages and chicken back to our table. In the end, we gave up waiting for him to show up. When he did show up, we were half way through our desserts.

Too late.

Doug and I did talk about the idea of the churrascarria as a substitute venue for the traditional end of Douguary Dinner at Morton’s. Doug agreed that it had some possibilities for the Douguary Dinner. Douguary, for you new readers, is a month long celebration of all things Doug. It is traditionally observed in February and had been know to slop over into March in some years.

We were prepared and I brought the camera last night. We did take some photos but none of the interesting young women. That would have been too obvious and not very subtle on our part. I’ll post some of those photos during the week also.

My Friend Sharon
My friend Sharon called me during dinner.

Sharon wanted to know why I was slow in answering her phone call. I said it was loud at the churrascarria.

Sharon said she had a good time in Hawaii and that she brought me something. That must have gone over well with her boy friend.

Anyway, that is not my problem is it now.

We had made plans to have lunch on Wednesday and she was going to take me out but I had to drive. Sharon had to cancel lunch because she is playing Nurse Sharon all week long. She had to take her boy friend in for emergency eye surgery on Friday night for a detached retina.

I asked her if she hit him and she gave me quick response of, “Of course not!”

I am sure I will learn all about detached retinas when we do have our lunch or dinner.

I found it strange that she was calling me from a party. The party was planned before I asked her to join us. I could assume that she was checking up on me but that makes no sense to me. I could assume that she was bored at the party but what call me. I suppose that I will find out eventually.

Sharon wants me to call her today; probably this afternoon so we can catch up on things.

Woman of the Moment Encore
This is an abbreviated version of the original Encore posting. Still it is a very nice way to close the blog posting out.

Aiko Tanaka perhaps uncomfortable but still smiling

KT So and I am smiling.

Cora Linn closes the Encore


I hope you enjoy a productive and successful week gentle readers.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home