Monday, September 04, 2006

Weekend Update

Weekend Update
Here it is September 5th and this is the unofficial end of Summer in the United States. I think Summer went by faster than usual this year and I do not have too much to show for it besides the Dissertation.

I have only read 32 books so far this year. Granted some of them were really quick reads and some were not very long, my reading will pick up the pace a bit because there are some books just coming out from authors that I like. The true problem with these books is they are all very well written and, thus, are very easy to read.

Life goes on Charles; deal with it.

Sports on Television
I took a break from the Dissertation this morning to have lunch. My stomach was making strange noises. I made a sandwich and decided to watch some [American style] college football while I ate.

Reasonable, right?

One of the networks was featuring six hours; can you believe, six hours of tennis and it was men’s tennis when I switched to ESPN for my football. Michigan was playing with Vanderbilt; it was not a close game but it was the game that was on in my area. I watched the last part of the game while I ate.

ESPN switched their coverage to the Ladies Professional Golf Association event. I forget what it was and where it was. The two striking points from watching that coverage is that this is not a spectator sport because there were no crowds to speak of that were following the golfers. There was a modest crowd at the 18th hole and that was about it.

The other point was that four of the top ten women golfers were Korean and two of the Koreans were rookies on the LPGA tour. I had no idea that Korean women were such good golfers. They seemed so determined to play that only one seemed to be able to fashion a modest smile after she hit a good shot.

Maybe I should reconsider my fantasy companion to consider a Korean woman who plays golf, tolerates cigar smoking, is attractive, speaks English, and is about 64 inches / 163 centimeters tall. I am assuming that she would have black hair and very dark eyes.

Dissertation
I got the new section written on Saturday morning. That was a minor milestone for me.

After I finished the section, I began to go through the 56 page document to revise the verb tense. This is not an easy task. I was happy to see that I had some written paragraphs in the past tense so that saved me some work.

I had wanted to avoid printing the entire document to save paper and ink. It doesn’t look like I will be able to get around that if I want to submit something that I am proud of to my Committee Chair for an advance review.

Woman of the Moment Bonus Feature
I hoped you enjoyed the Woman of the Moment Bonus Feature this weekend. I think I will try to continue to posts these encore features as a reward for showing up at the blog over the weekend when I do not post per se.

Doug
I had helped Doug write a complaint letter to his Dean last week. He made only a couple of changes to my revision of the basic document he prepared. He sent it in on Thursday. I told him that he should expect to have a response from his professor by Friday and maybe from the Dean by the first of the week.

He said he got a response from his professor on Friday. I didn’t see it but it sounded good as he described it over the phone to me. Good so far.

Doug emailed me the reply from the Dean. It was a very nice reply and included an apology from the Dean to him and the students in the class for the lack of air conditioning in the classroom. You would be unhappy too if you were in classroom on a Sunday afternoon and the building had no air conditioning or air circulation and the temperature was around 90F / 32C.

Woman of the Moment
These photos are fairly recent from the 2004 – 2005 period.






Visitors
Last week was an off week for foreign visitors. We had visitors from Texas, United Kingdom [3], Netherlands, Norway, Canada, Poland, France, and Germany.

We had one visitor spend 18.5 minutes on the site and another was here for 27 minutes. All of which caused me to come up with two hypotheses. First, the person has a slow connection and the download took for ever. Second, the person is a slow reader. Or both could be correct.

The total visitor count for the month of August was 330. I think this has been the highest since I started the blog except for one month when I was linked to Skeet on Mischa and another web log for a couple of days. I must have been particularly witty that month.

Errata
I was going to include something about the films I saw on Sunday and an update on the Japanese historical epic I have been watching on television. But, since I spent Saturday writing; I got about ten pages done and revising the sentence from the present tense to the past tense on 56 pages of Chapter 2, I will save that for tomorrow.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home