Monday, December 04, 2006

Whole Lotta Shakin Going On

Whole Lotta Shakin Going On
We had an earthquake this morning at 6:19 AM.

As California earthquakes go, it was a modest one with a magnitude of 2.6 on the Richter Scale. I checked my Southern California Earthquake web site after the event. I think I was maybe 3 miles or 5 kilometers away from the epicenter. The epicenter was off the coast, no tsunami warnings because the fault was fairly deep under the ocean floor.

The earthquake appears to have been along the Palo Verdes fault line that runs almost under my building. The quake, if nothing else, will relieve some of the tension on the northern end of the fault line where I live.

Always a positive outcome for me.

The quake itself was more like a sonic boom; a loud noise or bang and then some limited window shaking. There was hardly any of the usual rolling motion that we have with many earthquakes.

You could tell it was not a major earthquake because none of the cars parked in the building had their motion sensor based alarms go off. I went about my normal morning business which was reading the paper at the time.

Woman of the Moment
This is a good spot for this feature.



Time Warner Cable Update
It’s now at the Day Three and five hour mark and I still have not received a phone call from TWC that was promised to me on last Friday morning. I don’t think I’m being unreasonable since it was the TWC representative who said she would call me back in half an hour.

I think I can rightly conclude she lied to me. I think I can also rightly conclude that she merely said she would call me back to shut me up.

I guess there are several kinds of lies in the world; there are the plain and simple lies; there are damned lies; and there are TWC lies, the worst of the lot.

For the record, I did get a phone call today from TWC. It was an automated call that reminded me I am scheduled for a service visit tomorrow afternoon. I don’t think that counts as my promised return phone call from last Friday.

Haircut and Hair Styles
I got my hair cut today. I was starting to look on the seedy side and was overdue for a cut.

Naturally, Michelle the Stylist is still out on maternity leave.

The woman who cut my today was a new one to me. I have seen her in the salon before but she has never cut my hair. She is an all business stylist and doesn’t like to chit chat or talk or maybe doesn’t like to chit chat with me. That is a possibility.

I think she cut off more than she had too. I had only asked for a light trim all over. Of course, once the hair is cut you can’t glue it back and have it look nicely. I guess no one ever taught simple marketing to these stylists when they learned how to cut hair. If they only cut a small amount of hair off, the customer is more likely to return for another cut to maintain a neat appearance. As it is now, I will just stay away longer, like around six or seven weeks instead of my normal four weeks between hair cuts.

I went to the post office this morning to mail the last month’s Los Angeles Times Sports Sections to my brother. I do this because my brother lives in San Francisco and the local paper there does a terrible job covering the Los Angeles teams. That seems rather logical to me.

There was a young woman in the line in front of me. I am positive that her hair was shorter than, even after the visit to the salon this afternoon, mine. I think the only time my hair was that short was when I served in the United States Marine Corps Reserve and I had what all Marines know as a “high and tight” haircut. A “high and tight” haircut has essentially nothing on the sides and very little on the top. If you have seen a young Marine in his dress blues, then you have seen a Marine with a “high and tight.”

I am left to wonder why a young woman would want to wear her hair that short.

I suppose that she is trying to make some sort of a statement. Maybe she is trying to say that she doesn’t need a man in her life for example. I know I would give her a very wide berth. I did find it fascinating. Someday, I may even have an answer to my question of why.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home