Sunday, November 23, 2008

Weekend Update - November 22nd

University of Utah Football – Go Utes
The big question remaining for out Utes is where do they play next? After Saturday’s blow out of BYU, 48 to 24, at Rice Eccles Stadium in Salt Lake, the obvious answer is a nice BCS game. Utah ended the season with a perfect 12 and 0 record. Our Utes will play in their second BCS game and will be the first non-BCS conference school to play in two games.

I phoned the Princess after the game was over. We jointly savored the Ute victory and agreed it was a good day for our Utes.

Life is good to be a Ute fan.

Perfectomundo.

Seventh-ranked Utes tackle defending champions to win conference title
Associated Press via ESPN.com
SALT LAKE CITY -- Utah is BCS bound once again.
Brian Johnson passed for 303 yards and four touchdowns and the eighth-ranked Utes completed a perfect regular season by beating No. 16 BYU 48-24 Saturday, winning the heated state rivalry and taking the undisputed Mountain West Conference title away from the two-time defending champion Cougars (10-2, 6-2).

Utah (12-0, 8-0) forced six turnovers by BYU quarterback Max Hall, including a career-high five interceptions, and went unbeaten in the regular season for the third time in school history. The last Utah team to do it was the BCS Busters of 2004, which was 11-0 before winning the Fiesta Bowl.

The Fiesta is one of the possible bowl destinations for the Utes, who were already No. 7 in the BCS standings and now just have to wait for the announcement Dec. 7.

Utah fans couldn't wait to celebrate and charged the field with 29 seconds left. They were herded off so Johnson could take a knee and run out the clock, then the celebration could really begin. The Utes were swallowed by the sea of red-clad fans who were elated about so many things -- the unbeaten season, the BCS and beating BYU, which hadn't happened for Utah since 2005.

The chant "B-C-S!" rang out through Rice-Eccles Stadium as Johnson received the Mountain West title trophy. Johnson was nearly perfect in his final home game, going 30-for-36 and not turning the ball over once.

Hall's game went just about in the complete opposite direction. Three of his four interceptions led to scores for Utah, as did Hall's fumble at the BYU 31 late in the third quarter.
Hall was 21-for-41 for 205 yards and Austin Collie finished with 10 catches for 104 yards, his 10th straight 100-yard receiving.

The Cougars rallied from down 17-3 to tie it, only to give Utah 10 quick points late in the first half and then self-destruct again after pulling within three points third quarter.

Hall and got the Cougars back within 27-24 on an 11-yard touchdown run with 6:46 left in the third and the Cougars' defense forced a punt to get the ball right back, but it didn't stay with BYU for long. Hall had the ball knocked from his hand when he tried to run as the pocket collapsed around him.

Paul Kruger recovered for Utah at the BYU 31 with 8 seconds left in the quarter and the Utes scored early in the fourth on Johnson's 8-yard touchdown pass to Brent Casteel for a 34-24 lead with 14:31 left in the game.

Hall's troubles snowballed from there.

On the next possession, Kruger dropped back from defensive end into pass coverage and was right in place to pluck Hall's pass out of the air and start heading the other way. Hall tripped up Kruger to keep him from a touchdown, but it was at the 4 and Utah quickly scored on a pass from running back Matt Asiata to Chris Joppru for a 41-24 lead.

Hall threw another interception to Sean Smith, who returned it 38 yards to the BYU 29. Johnson completed the short drive with a 4-yard touchdown pass to Colt Sampson with 2:48 left in the game.

The Utes were the ones making the mistakes in the first half with two crucial penalties that allowed BYU to tie it after Utah had gone up 17-3.

Kruger was offsides on a play that would have been a sack by Koa Misi, so instead of fourth down with a long field goal attempt BYU had third-and-1 from the 23. Harvey Unga took a pitch around the left end, made one cut inside and ran easily for the touchdown to get the Cougars within 17-10.

Utah had BYU stopped at the 14, but Brice McCain was called for pass interference and the Cougars had first-and-goal from the 2. Unga scored on a direct snap to tie it at 17 with 6:26 left in the half.

Louie Sakoda kicked two field goals for the Utes and Unga finished with 116 rushing yards for BYU.


Weekend Update
This is a small Weekend Update blog posting because I spent most of the weekend completing the final course grades for my classes. I also spent some time phoning a couple of my students to remind them that they would fail a course if they did not submit their assignments to me.

Christmas Letter and Christmas Cards
My Christmas cards arrived a week or so ago. This year has certainly gone by faster than it usually seems to do.

Of course, I did have a lot of drama in my life this year.

I guess that once you send out a Christmas letter you have to continue that practice. That means I need to get started with drafting a new letter for 2008. I think I will have time over the Thanksgiving holiday to write a letter.

Visitors
I have decided to use the weekly visitor traffic count from Sitemeter.com to determine how many visitors that blog received. This week, which ended for Sitemeter’s purposes on Thursday, we had 848 unique visitors. I am guessing that some visitors stopped by the site more than once during the week.

I took a look at the monthly visitor count. This month ought to be the busiest yet for the blog. We may pass 3,000 visitors to the blog and that would be sweet.

I do appreciate all of you who took time out of your schedules to visit the blog.

Final Grades
I should not have to chase the students to have them turn their assignments in to me. I think it creates a false sense of security for them because I know the real world is much less tolerant of employees who fail to perform to the manager’s expectations. I know that I have terminated employees in the past for not being able to perform to the usual company standards or being able to come to work on time. I will probably have to do the same in the future if I return to senor management.

Teaching Schedule
I received the final teaching schedule on Thursday for the next term that starts on December 1st. I will be teaching five courses. This is a full load of classes for me. Three of the classes are new ones for me; two of the classes were ones that I asked to teach.

I am expecting to have two, large, general education classes; one of 30 or more students and one of 20 or more students. The largest student count for any of the other three classes is nine students. I have had at least six or seven classes previously with the students in the three small classes.

My new courses are Marketing and the Internet, Cost Accounting and Budgeting, and Economics and Change. My previously taught courses are Introduction to Project Management and Professional Procedures.

I was at school on Friday to pick up my textbooks for the new courses. I also made copies of the new course syllabi so I could get a start of my new lesson plans over the week long break. We get a week off now and then we get two weeks at Christmas so that is good.

This coming term will mark the start of my third year of teaching at ITT Technical Institute. Time does have a way of swiftly moving on.

Gloria and Her Ice Cream Store
I drove to Gloria’s ice cream store on Friday on my way home from school.

Regrettably, I managed to miss seeing Gloria. Since it was on the warm side on Friday, I imagine that Gloria would have been wearing shorts. Gloria truly does justice to a pair of what Doug calls shorty shorts.

There is always next week. I will be more than half way to Gloria’s ice cream store after I visit Molly the Stylist for a haircut. Late afternoon is a good time for rich chocolate ice cream.

Actually, any time is a good time for rich chocolate ice cream

My Friend Sharon
I phoned my friend Sharon Friday. I thought she had called me as I was driving home from Giuliano’s. My Verizon cell phone went off as I was driving. I don’t have a Bluetooth device for that phone, California has banned all hand cell held phone usage while driving, so I figured it would be Sharon since I promised to call her when she called me in class.

The call was obviously a wrong number since it was a Delaware phone number, based on the area code of the caller.

We talked for about fifty minutes or until my battery was dying and Sharon was almost home and my stomach was rumbling. Most of the call was catching up on what each of us had been doing since we talked last.

I told Sharon about the great time I had in San Diego at the Utah – San Diego State University football game. I also told her about my plans to go visit my Renee the Artist in Ventura over the Thanksgiving Day weekend.

Sharon didn’t mention too much of what she had been doing for fun.

Then, Sharon asked me to explain why it was important to classify Money Market Accounts at her bank as savings accounts. I told that as a saving account, the bank would not have to maintain any transaction reserves which would allow the bank to use the funds for loans or other income generating purposes.

Ahhhh; epiphany time for Sharon.

Since we have both worked together in financial institutions, we got to talking about very troubled savings and loans, one of which is a strong competitor for Sharon’s bank. I hadn’t been watching the news and I hadn’t seen any reports of a bank takeover by the government so we assumed the banks were safe for the week.

We were wrong, both of the banks that we talked about failed on Friday. It was just too early for the local newscasts to have the stories on their 6:00 PM local news programs.

The competitor bank was taken over by a very large national bank so Sharon’s bank will now have a much stronger competitor to face. Her bank does have a competitive advantage of being the only locally owned bank in the market area. That may be persuasive for some people to leave the new, giant bank for her bank.

Sharon asked me if I was teaching any marketing courses this term; she wanted to come be a guest lecturer. I said the only marketing course was Marketing and the Internet. Sharon doesn’t have much background in that area. I told Sharon that I would look at the course syllabus and see if there were some areas that she could speak to my class about.

I looked at the course syllabus and I think I can find some areas where Sharon would be a good speaker. I think she could talk on areas of marketing plans and consumer behavior.

Perfectomundo.


That was my weekend; dull wasn’t it?


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home