Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A Day of Desperation, Frustration, and Anguish

A Day of Desperation, Frustration and Anguish
Today was one of those days that make you never want to leave the comfort and warmth and security of your bed. I seriously thought about calling in sick and letting someone else teach my Cost Accounting and Budgeting class. Unfortunately, no one at school at 8:00 AM could teach the course so the students wouldn’t learn very much.

Sometimes, I doubt whether they learn if I am in class or not.

As it turned out, only half, 3 students out of 6 students, of my Cost Accounting class showed up today so maybe I should have stayed in bed.

It was Wednesday and I stopped at my local Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf to see Tihana and get one of her splendid large ice blended drinks. She was working a later shift today. I decided to get my drink since I was there and then go on home.

It tasted almost as good as when Tihana makes it for me.

That allowed me to give up on the idea of going back when she was likely to be there. I was disappointed that she wasn’t there because I came from school and looked rather professional and nicely cleaned up. I was wearing one of my grey suits with a white shirt and a red paisley tie and well shined black shoes.

Doug would have called it a Michael Clayton suit.

I had a phone call from the student who I think wants me to act as her mentor this afternoon. We had tentatively planned to meet on Saturday morning at a convenient Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf. This would have worked out very well; I was planning to have lunch with Doug at Fatburger and then visit my friend Gloria’s frozen yogurt store on my way home.

Perfectomundo.

The student was calling to change plans slightly. Now, I will catch up with her at a public event where she will be working in a booth and talking about her employer. I will meet her after I have lunch with Doug.

I ought to be able to fit a stop at Gloria’s store in on my way to meet up with my student.

Excellent.

After I finished my lunch, I turned on the television to catch up on a fair and balanced world by watching the Fox News Channel. All I got on any channel was a message that service would be available momentarily.

I have Time Warner Cable service and it really, really, really sucks.
Time Warner Cable has no apparent concept of planning or execution.

I power cycled my cable decoder and when nothing changed I phoned customer non-service. The wait on hold was painful at best. The customer non-service person tried to make me feel better by apologizing; that was a useless exercise because there is nothing that she could have said that would have improved my mood.

After wasting or squandering fifteen minutes with the customer non-service representative, I was told that workers were installing new cabling to increase bandwidth. She gave a numeric breakdown of affected customers. There were a lot of them. She said the work would be finished around 5:00 PM.

I ran some errands and checked my email so it was close to 6:00 when I fired up the set to get the local evening news broadcast. The service was still down. I phoned customer non-service and listened to same vile music and pathetic sales messages. The new customer non-service representative checked and found the repairs had been completed.

Wonderful, just wonderful.

She tried to recycle my decoder box. This failed. She said something was blocking her signal from reaching my box. I said it was probably a result of the sloppy cable work. Naturally, she disagreed.

She said that I needed to sit and wait for a technician and I use that term in the loosest of all possible meanings. The earliest visit that I could schedule is next Wednesday afternoon.

Beautiful, just beautiful. Not

Finally, she tried to up sell me on buying more services from Time Warner Cable. Wasted effort.
Of course, she did help me move closer and closer to going with a satellite service like Direct TV.

Here is why Time Warner cable sucks and more importantly can’t plan and execute well. A month or so ago, I went without cable service for three days while the company installed new cables. Last week, I went without cable service for a day while the company installed a new connection box and cables in the building. Today, I am without service for who knows how long because the company installed new cable to increase bandwidth.

It seems to me that these activities could have been scheduled concurrently so as to minimize the customer inconvenience. If your work crews are pulling new cable then they could just as easily pull new cable and increased bandwidth cable..

On the bright side, I will be going to bed early so all is not lost.

Amazed that I could find a bright side in all of this mess? I always try to find some positive element in every disaster. I think this is a sign of an optimistic person.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home