Friday, June 05, 2009

Blue Screen of Death

Blue Screen of Death
I experienced the Blue Screen on Wednesday afternoon when my new Western Digital external hard drive caused my laptop to crash twice and it finally failed into a Blue Screen message. I had purchased the 400GB hard drive with a view towards backing up my system files on it. I know this seems excessive but this was the smallest external hard drive that was available for sale in the store and it cost less than my existing 250GB Western Digital external hard drive that I already owned.

For those of you who are new to the Internet; and by new I mean that you never worked with the MS-DOS operating system, this can be a frightening experience. The Blue Screen message in MS-DOS meant that you had just lost all of the data you were working on because your computer went into an unrecoverable crash.

I really do not understand why or how this could have happened.

Granted, there are some who will say, “Chuck, you own a Windows laptop that runs Vista Business,” and then suggest I consider buying a Mac. Doug would probably say something like that.

The package for the external hard drive said it “worked with Windows Vista.”

That seemed to me that I could use it with the laptop when I purchased it at Best Buy. I did ask the female sales person if it would work with Windows Vista and she said that it would. I also asked her supervisor who unlocked the display case the same question. He looked at the package and that it would.

I downloaded the updates from Western Digital after I plugged it in. The update downloads were normal.

Then, I began to have trouble. The hard drive came with a FAT 32 file format which is incompatible with the Widows NTFS file format. I think Windows stopped using the FAT 32 format when it launched Windows 95 or Windows 98. I couldn’t use the Windows Back Up function.

Great.

If a product is supposed to work with Windows Vista, why wouldn’t it come with the proper file formatting?

Anyway, two crashes later, I gave up on the new external hard drive. I spent three hours on Thursday removing the device and its files from my laptop and removing my information from the hard drive.

I returned it to Best Buy. The clerk at the returns counter asked me why I was returning it. I told because it caused my laptop to crash and generate a Blue Screen message.

She gave me a blank stare. She didn’t understand what a Blue Screen message was.

I must be Carbon Dating myself again.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home