Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving Aftermath

Thanksgiving Aftermath
After spending the better part of a day cleaning and cooking, we, that would be me, Doug and his mother, sat down for our Thanksgiving Day dinner. It was a very quiet meal as most of our Thanksgiving meals tend to be. We were busy eating and enjoying our bounty and blessings.

It was also a clear and unmistakable signal that I had cooked another great meal.

I read somewhere a long time ago that we Americans tend to gain about ten pounds over the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. As of this morning, I am up only a pound and a half. I ought to be able to drop that and maybe a bit more this week since all of the comfort food that I have been enjoying will be gone.

My family and I are very grateful for what we have received.

The Lenovo Y550 Laptop
My new laptop with the wrong operating system arrived on Wednesday. Once the laptop finally left Taiwan on Tuesday, my time, it made a remarkably good passage to my flat. From Taiwan, it went to Anchorage and then on to Louisville, Kentucky, to Los Angeles, to Gardena, and finally to my flat.

After opening the box and looking at the machine, I decided that I really could not stand to have it in my office.

I took Lenovo up on their offer to return the laptop without any restocking fees. This was an easy process for me, aside from the expected wait times on a call to their support center that is now in India I think. The wait times were shorter than what I had anticipated since I phoned on Friday morning.

I didn’t care all that much for the music while I was on hold. There were more reminders that I was important and that Lenovo valued my business than I would have preferred. I also would like companies to rethink their music on hold strategies. Why don’t you have some classical music instead of more contemporary music? Morgan Stanley has a great music on hold program. It is classical music played primarily on a harpsichord.

I have to congratulate Lenovo for their handling of their manufacturing mess-up. Lenovo got the solution right the first time. Building a machine and installing the wrong operating system then shipping it to the customer is an incredible quality control gaffe and public relations nightmare. Lenovo treated my very fairly and did not quibble over minor points; they paid for the return shipping, something I was prepared to pay for, for example.

Lenovo retained my trust and business. I ordered my fourth Lenovo laptop after I returned from the UPS Store where I dropped off the Y550.

I ordered a T500 laptop which is a business oriented model. I really like the new machine that only cost about USD$60 more than the Y550. The T500 has a track ball pointer and I love that feature. It does have the same wide screen as the Y550.

Doug said it would to watch a Blu-Ray DVD on the Y550. I pointed out that I had a 48 inch wide, high definition television with better speakers in another room so why would I want to watch a Blu-Ray on the laptop.

The new machine is faster but I can’t tell. It has a lesser graphics card; that is fine since I haven’t played a game on a computer since the Legend of Zelda using MSDOS on a monochrome monitor. I did spring for an extra and picked up an Intel Turbo Cache 2GB memory card; this should improve start up times for me.

University of Utah and High School Football
Our old high school, our being my Brother and me, lost in the closing minutes to a team with a much better record. The game was a high school division quarter final game. Our team played well and they have nothing to be ashamed of for the season.

Our Utes lost to Brigham Young in overtime in a game played at Provo. As with any intense rivalry game, there is bad blood and ill feelings. The Utes finished the season with a 9 win and 3 loss record; all of the losses were to Top 25 Football Teams, including two that were ranked in the Top 10 this week. The team also played without a strong quarterback until the last two games of the season.

Utah will be playing in a post season bowl game. Utah finished third in the conference. Texas Christian with a 12 and 0 record will be playing in a BCS game somewhere. The Air Force Academy will play in a post season bowl game because they finished fourth in the conference. The Mountain West Conference has tie-ins with five post season bowl games. This will make things difficult because only four teams from the conference qualified to play in post season games. The two bigger post season bowl games that the Mountain West sends teams to are the MAACO Las Vegas Bowl in Las Vegas and the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl in San Diego

Visitors
We had an uptick in visitors in the last week. We had 205 visitors who viewed 248 unique pages. There were some visitors of more than passing interest; one was from Afghanistan and the other was from French Polynesia. I am guessing the one from Afghanistan is an American service member since he or she went straight to the January 1, 2007 page that has one of the best and varied collection of photos of young Asian and Westerner women in skimpy bikinis.

I do appreciate all of you who stop by and visit the blog.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home