Friday, October 15, 2010

Stuff I forgot to say

Stuff I forgot to say
I think I forgot to mention a number of things in my last blog posting. This will be the first time in a while that I have made two blog posts in a week. Having three new classes requires more preparation time especially when they are all small classes.

Teaching
I had an email from my department chair this week. He was congratulating me for having great engagement [class attendance] numbers. That was on Tuesday night before one of my two students called me and said she wouldn’t be in class. Then, last night, my only student in my class called in and said she wouldn’t be in class.

My engagement numbers went right into the toilet.

I ran into one of my former students a week or so ago. I hadn’t seen her in over a year; she takes morning classes and I have been teaching at night. She had dyed her hair or rather let it return to its natural color, dark brown.

I felt embarrassed because I didn’t recognize her. On the plus side, she did look absolutely stunning with dark hair.

The school gave me an unexpected surprise today. I earned a bonus from last quarter. The bonus was more than I had expected. I will use it to buy myself an early Christmas gift, to me from me. I’m going to get a Kindle DX reader from Amazon. I had thought about buying a Kindle 3 but the bonus money will about cover the reader. The extra three inches of reading space was a deal clincher for me.

Theater
I went to see “The Allergist’s Wife” at the La Mirada Theater on opening weekend. I read the Los Angeles Times’ critic’s review of the play.

The critic thought it was only so-so. That was probably because she left at intermission. The play got better in the second half. I thought the play was good. I gave some vouchers for tickets to the play to a friend of mine. She went with one of her girl friends; they liked the play.

So much for professional reviewers.

Weather
I was going to get the MINI washed today. It was looking a little sad from last week’s drizzles. I woke to the sound of “Here Comes the Sun” on the radio and rainwater in the building gutters and downspouts.

So much for a car wash trip.

Rain on a convertible roof sounds so much different than rain on a steel car roof. I like that softer sound. Of course, I haven’t been in a heavy downpour yet so I may change my mind.

I was listening to a local weather newsreader the other day. He said this past Summer was one of the coolest Summers on record.

Perfect timing to get a convertible.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home