Thursday, May 15, 2014

Neighbors, the movie



            I went to see the new film Neighbors yesterday.
            Doug had suggested it as a good film to see. It was enjoyable to a point for me. I thought the humor was perhaps too heavy handed and it resorted to hyping stereotypes too often for a laugh.
            It is also possible that at my age, I am too old to find the comedy enjoyable.
            Having lived in a fraternity house for two years, I could see some of the stereotyped actions as being relevant and accurate to a degree for forty years ago. The film presented the fraternity as one that was focused on sex, drugs, and alcohol. This was probably true at one time.
            It is not true today. In the early 1990s, my fraternity, Phi Delta Theta, banned alcohol and drugs from the houses. We were the first national fraternity to take that step. We also banned hazing.
            If I were a film critic or reviewer, I would say Neighbors in a nice, overdone, comedic history of a period that no longer exists.
            Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home