Sunday, April 03, 2005

Weekend Update

No, gentle readers, this is not Saturday Night Live.

This is my recap of the good, the bad ,and the ugly of the weekend.

The Good
It was a very good weekend for me. I got to spend some quality, up close and personal time with the Girl Friend for about half of Saturday, an excellent way to spend time.

We went to the Asia Pacific Musuem in Pasadena as she had suggested. The Japanese sword making exhibit was a killer and one that was definitely worth the walk about. I learned a great deal about sword making and how it fits into the Japanese culture. For those of you that are in Southern California, I would highly recommend it. You will have to hurry since the exhibit is closing soon.

I had planned to have dinner at a seafood restaurant in Old Town Pasadena. When we got there, we discovered it had closed and a new one had opened in its place. We decided to be adventurous and try the new one.

The new restaurant is called Villa Sorriso. It styles itself as an Italian seafood restaurant. There is a good selection of salads, pasta. and seafood, all a la carte. The Girl Friend had scallops with a mushroom rissotto. She said she enjoyed her dinner, she cleaned her plate so it must have been good. I had seared Ahi tuna and steamed vegetables.

The Bad
I was disappointed with the overall outcome of the meal. The wait staffer was less than attentive when taking our order. I asked for a bowl of soup and got a cup of soup instead. I asked for four scoops of chocolate gelato for dessert and only ended up with two. That was a major, if not fatal, flaw for me. Those of you who know will understand. It also seemed as if there were not enough wait staff on hand for dinner. This struck me as being odd since it was Saturday night.

The Ugly
The biggest disappointment was that my meal was on the cool side, almost cold actually. The dinner plate was hot to the touch but the food was cool and cooling off rapidly. Cool is just fine for gelato but not the main course.

Of course, it is possible the restaurant is newly opened and is still finding its way around. I should have asked about that on Saturday. Oh well, unasked questions happen.

The Other Stuff
We did walk around for a while in the area. I can remember when Old Town Pasadena was borderline funky with an odd collection of small shops in a neighborhood that was in transition. Now, it is all yuppified with Gap, Banana Republic, Barnes & Noble, Starbucks, and a host of other major retailers with outlets in the district.

I think the district has lost some of its charm.

Saturday was a day I was supposed to be able to sleep in on. Could I do that? No way, I was up at my usual time. Sunday was a little better but that was because I did not get home on Saturday until 1:30 AM and so sleeping in was easier for me.

Today, I went out to see my favorite son and drop off some material for him. We went to In-n-Out for hamburgers. I had a double, double cheesburger [two beef patties and two slices of cheese and one bun], fries,and a Coke. The Big Guy had a 3x3 [three hambuger patties and three cheese slices] protien style [no bun], a Spirite, and fries animal style [grilled onions, cheese, and 1000 Island dresssing on them].

Burp.

It was so tasty and filling.

It was sort of sunny this afternoon when I got home from seeing the Big Guy so I went out on my balcony to read the currrent issue of Business Week and smoke a cigar the Girl Friend gave me. The cigar was a Monte Cristo and really excellent. I enjoyed myself this afternoon.

On my way home from the Big Guy's, I stopped off at DVDPlanet.com and picked up a copy of the Throne of Blood. This is Kurosawa's version of Macbeth and it was done very, very well.

The Younger Brother [only brother] called me while I was out last night. He was having trouble with a recipe of mine. He asked me to call him if I got in before dinner time. When I caught up with him tonight, the recipe had gone well and his wife, who is not fond of fish at all, even liked the scallops. I felt pleased with myself for sharing it with him.

This about covers things for me. I hope you all had a great weekend like I did.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home