Sunday, March 27, 2005

I'm Over The Loss Now

Yes, gentle readers, I am over Utah's loss [again] to Kentucky in the Round of 16.

They played very well against a better team with a deeper bench. The Utes have a great deal to be proud of. They had a great season with a new coach [Ray Giacoletti] from a small school and a small basketball program [Eastern Washington State is not a powerhouse by most measures] and beat BYU twice.

And, they are absolutely better than the other 284 NCAA Division 1 teams that watched the Round of 16 from the comfort of their campus dorm rooms and apartments. That fact puts Utah in the Top 5% of the schools.

I would hope the national television exposure will help with recruiting. Lord knows, Utah needs some help; no, make that a whole bunch of help. I was drifting through the Fox Sports web site yesterday and checked to see if Utah picked up commitments from any of the big name high school seniors.

You guessed it; not a one signed on with the Utes.

Maybe it is the snow or the fact that Salt Lake City is still heavily influenced by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints [Mormons]. Maybe no basketball players are skiiers. If you play basketball and like to ski, then Utah is the perfect place to go to school. Olympic class slopes are less than an hour's drive from campus.

The Princess went to Utah like I did and she grew up in the O. C. with warm sunny days and sandy beaches where snow only appeared on television. She liked it so much she stayed there after graduation and worked until she went on to MBA school at South Carolina.

South Carolina only made it to the NIT this year in basketball and they football team watched the really good bowl games from home again this year. Maybe Steve Spurrier will turn around the Gamecocks football program.

Now that basketball season is over, how much longer until the NFL season starts? I think it is about five, six months or so. I think I can wait that long.

Anyway.

I was looking out of my office window this past week. Look, we all look out of our office windows from time to time. You know it; I know it, deal with it.

There is a building adjacent to the one I work in. It is undergoing a complete renovation. It probably needs it because it is maybe 40 years old, give or take a couple of years. The workers gutted the top floor and tossed all of the debris out of the windows. I had to get used to the thuds from the no longer needed doors crashing on the parking lot pavement.

This week, the workers started on the third floor. This is not surprising since it was the next floor going towards the basement. I was surprised and disappointed and maybe a little saddened when the workers took sledge hammers and punched through the exterior wall so they would be able to dump more debris on the parking lot.

In doing so, the workers destroyed mosaic tile panels below each of the punched out windows. The building, you see, has a very unique band of abstract mosaic tile that surrounds the third floor. I know the workers will never be able to match what was there before. I think this is the only building inLos Angeles with the tile band. I may be wrong on this count.

I would have thought they could have cut the panel out whole and saved the bulk of it. Granted the section where the saw went would have been lost but that would have been a single vertical row of the small tiles and not that significant in the grand scheme of things. The lost tiles could have been covered with new moulding and hardly anyone would be able to notice the changes.

Life goes on and so do I.

I did get to watch my Korean historical drama series last night. It was Episode 44 of The Immortal Yi Soon-Shin. The show takes place in the late 16th century. You have to be Korean or a student of Asian history to appreciate the series. For some reason, I am fascinated by the show and I am not Korean nor was I an Asian History major in college.

The show is sorting of reaching a major plot point. The Japanese are getting ready to launch an invasion of Korea. This would have been just before the rise of the Tokugawa Shogunate that ruled Japan for close to 250 years. The writers have portrayed the Japanese as evil, blood thirsty, power mad, and generally not very nice. Naturally, the Koreans are shown as being very virtuous and honorable.

I wonder if the writers had any official guidance from any officials in a Korean ministry since the show comes close to being anti-Japanese propaganda. I suppose the Koreans have every reason to not like the Japanese after thirty five years of military occupation that ended in 1945.

Moving along to other accomplishments.

I finished the book the Girl Friend gave me ; all 782 pages of it. The ending left me sort of at loose ends. It was not as neat and tidy as I would have preferred.

Later on today, I going to see The Big Guy and then we will make a journey to Albertacos for our lunch. Most everyone I know has a favorite place to go for Mexican style food. Albertacos is our favorite place. I don't get to go there as often as we did in the past since The Big Guy is off doing student film crew work on the weekends and driving on his own.

Albertacos is a close to 60 mile drive, one way. Mid-range unleaded is at $2.59 at my local station so I am not driving there for a munchie rush satisfaction.

And so gentle readers, I need to get going because I places to go and things to do yet this day. [Anticipatory burp.]

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home