Tuesday, March 29, 2005

no topic tonight

Good evening gentle readers.

I was going to think about a topic on the drive home tonight. But, with traffic moving along briskly and steady, I had to concentrate on my driving. I got home in just over an hour with a stop along the way to pick up my shirts from the laundry.

The Younger [and only] Brother called me after he read the blog about our high school classmates that are no longer with us. It was a sort of sober call for part of the time. Then, we talked about sports. My college made it into the Sweet 16 while his old school watched the conference playoffs from the comfort of Heritage Hall.

If you live in Los Angeles, you will understand. If you don't live in Los Angeles, please don't move here. We have more than enough people. If you have a really strong urge go out West, then I suggest you consider either Montana or Wyoming. Those states have lots of room for you Easterners.

My afternoon was on the down side for a moment or two. One of my co-workers came into my office and did a "life sucks" rant on my parade. I can understand the co-worker's frustration with work and life. I tried to be cheerful and agreed with most of the rant. I did provide a rationality test that seemed to be positive.

I agreed with my co-worker that the thought process used was valid. But, sometimes, the corporation is not always a rational creature. I think I helped out a bit.

I was reading in the Los Angeles Times [our local newspaper] about the possibility of having a NFL team in Los Angeles in a couple of years. That was such a depressing story for me.

What good would aNFL team for me?
Short answer is absolutely, positively, nothing at all.

We currently get four, count 'em, four free NFL games every Sunday, rain or shine. Unfortunately, I can only watch three of the games since two are broadcast at the same time. Of course, I do have to get out of bed on Sunday to watch the games so that is a minimal sacrifice of some sort I suppose.

I have been to only one NFL game in Los Angeles since 1969 when I got out of the United States Navy so there was no real loss when the Rams and Raiders left town. I did go to maybe 20 semi-NFL games when I went to the USC football games with Preppie. This was back before The Princess came along and changed everything.

Personally, I don't think the NFL will return to Los Angeles anytime soon. The really BIG reason is the public won't pay for a new stadium for the team. The voters won't approve a tax hike to pay for a stadium after they voted down one for more police and fire services.

The other reason is we have two good college teams here as it is and they give you a much better experience without charging you a small fortune to go to the games. Actually, we have one great college team and one average college team that dreams of greatness.

I had thought about writing and working on my dissertation tonight. But, I feel tired and will write over the weekend.

Looks like I have time for some foolish television viewing or recreational reading before I crawl off to bed.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home