Wednesday, January 11, 2006

I wasn't here yesterday

I wasn’t here yesterday
I wasn’t here yesterday gentle readers. But, you knew that. I was off working on my dissertation. I will be doing that off and on during the week for the next few months. Once I am finished, I will have much more time to devote to blogging.

Coffee
I drink coffee regularly. I drink it without any creamer or sugar; plain, hot, black coffee. Simple coffee.

I drink decaffeinated coffee because it does not cause my blood pressure to go up. Caffeine will do that to you. High blood pressure is not good for anyone. The coffee tastes the same whether it has caffeine or nor.

Did you know that caffeine is actually a bitter tasting ingredient of coffee? It adds absolutely not flavor and it does not take any flavor away. Some people react as if caffeine was the one source of flavor for the coffee beverage.

I learned to drink coffee when I was in the Navy. We never had milk on the ship for very long when we put to sea. I think the milk was gone in less than a week and we were at sea for months on end. Milk was never around so I never learned to put it in my coffee.

The ship did have sugar but only it five pound / two kilograms and some change bags. When the ship was rolling and tossing in a heavy sea, sugar could get easily spilled and would be difficult to sweep up. Sugar stayed on the mess decks along with the rest of the food.

I can still remember one four hour watch from midnight to 4:00 AM. I was on watch with three enlisted men. We went through a 64 cup coffee urn and started on the second batch before the watch was over. I should mention that it was extremely cold then and the coffee helped keep us warm. We drank so much of the stuff that it did not affect our sleep at all.

So why do I mention my association with coffee. Simple; there are people out there that just do not understand how to drink coffee. I go into the sandwich shop every morning for a cup of decaffeinated coffee. It is a self serve operation; you buy the cup and then you fill it with the coffee from your pot of choice.

The guy in front of me was taking a little of coffee from each pot; there are six pots including four flavored ones. Then, he added some regular low fat creamer and then some half milk and half cream mixture. I don’t recall or maybe it’s that I don’t want to recall how many bags of sugar he added to the cup but I believe it was more than four bags. Each bag is equal to a teaspoon size amount of sugar.

How could anyone possible enjoy that vile mixture of hot colored and flavored water?

Why even go to the trouble of getting a cup of coffee?

I think this was a sign the end of Western civilization is near and that we should all begin to make our peace with our respective religious doctrines before it becomes too late to repent.

I also drink tea from time to time but not very often. Usually, I like to drink what we Americans call an “Arnold Palmer.” In theory, it is very good but most restaurants do a terrible job of serving the drink. The drink is half iced tea and half lemonade.

What could be more simple than that I ask you?

More and more restaurants in Southern California think it is trendy to serve flavored ice tea. I guess I am in the minority who only prefer regular plain and simple iced tea where the only flavor comes from the tea leaves and not some chemical additives.

I once walked out of a restaurant after the server told me they had no regular iced tea. The manager was upset that I would walk out of the restaurant. I think he thought I was joking when I said I was leaving because all he served for tea was only fit to clean mud off of boots.

Bad Tattoos
I thought I had seen the last of the really bad tats for a while until this afternoon.

I was out in the courtyard talking to the Princess when this youngish woman walked by. I lost my train of thought and conversation until the Princess yelled at me and brought me back to my senses. She has always been able to yell at me.

More on point.

This woman had a big tat of a spider web on her calf and then some other tat on the arch of her foot. She had a tribal design style tat around her neck and it was above the collar line, assuming she was wearing a collar.

Since she was wearing a scoop neck top, I could see that she had a series of tats that went across her upper chest. She did not have a tan and the colored tats just stood out for all to see.

Then she had this really ugly dark red and green tat on the back of her hand that went up her arm. I couldn’t tell what it looked like since she was wearing long sleeves. I could just tell that it was probably not very nice to look at.

One of the other men in the office called my attention to the woman. We both wondered what possessed her to get some many ugly tats. She had more tats than most of the young sailors who were in my division on the good ship USS Leonard F. Mason back when I was in the Navy.

I am getting too old for scary sights like that. Doug and his friend Mark are into horror films and probably would have enjoyed seeing her.

It was enough to make me think three or four times.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home