Thursday, January 05, 2006

Interview Marathong Today

Interview Marathon
Today was supposed to be an interview marathon for me. Sort of a job searching and interviewing day long event.

As usual, with things like this, the event did not work out as planned. Life deals hands like that sometimes. I was supposed to have a total of six interviews scheduled from 10:00 AM to ending after 2:00 PM.

I figured there would be time delays and schedule slipping. It always happens like that.
My first appointment had to cancel as I arrived because of a large problem that blew up. It was rescheduled into the after 2:00 PM slot. That would have worked out just fine.

The second appointment went off about 15 minutes late because the person I was to see was still finishing up on another interview with a candidate for a different job. I was fifteen minutes into the interview when I realized the interviewer did not know what job I was there to talk to the company about.

I had to say to the interviewer, a senior vice president with the company, “I think you have me confused with someone else. I am not here to apply for the position you are talking about.”

Deadly silence.

“Ahhhh, well then, I guess we can skip some of what I was going to tell you. Why don’t you tell me about your teaching experience[the job is manager of training in a company unit]?”

Nice recovery.

This interview ran late because we started late and the interviewer got confused. The recruiter was worried that I had given up on the company and had gone home or was wandering around in the cube farm because I had not returned for the next scheduled interview on time.

The third interview happened late of course. It also ran late but that was expected.

The third interview was with the hiring manager. I thought it went well and that I answered all of the questions with solid answers and solutions on how to conduct internet based training.

I also had an excellent solution to the question of how do you test the students. I said, “You give them a factual data package and ask them to create a report or small project based on the material in the data package. This way, you can test and evaluate their ability to think and reason along with their ability to demonstrate mastery of the subject matter. The test, if you will, closely simulates their daily work environment and is highly job related.”

The interviewer had apparently never thought of that as a testing solution. Based on the interviewer’s reaction, I would say that I nailed the question solidly.

I finished up with the third interview and was taken back to the recruiter. The recruiter told me that the four afternoon interviews had fallen apart because one of the company’s senior officers had come to the location for a meeting and the meeting would last all afternoon. The remaining interviewers would have to be rescheduled late this month.

Bummer and waste of part of the day for me.

I came home and decided to hang out at home since it was warm and sunny today. I think the temperature was around 26C/78F at the beach today. It looks like it will be a bit warmer tomorrow and then hold the temperatures through the weekend.

If nothing else, the weekend will be excellent for smoking and reading on the balcony.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home