Monday, August 21, 2006

Short Monday

Short Monday Blog Posting
We have Monday Night [American] Football on the tube tonight. I worked over the weekend on the dissertation so I missed my fair share of football.

I saw where the Oakland Raiders rather handily beat the San Francisco 49ers in what one could characterize as a Battle of the Bay. All of this raises the valid question; are the Raiders that much improved or have the 49ers sunk to new and lower depths of despair.

Fascinating corundum isn’t it?

I am not that interested in tonight’s teams; the Dallas Cowboys and the New Orleans Saints. The Cowboys ought to win; they have more talent and a better coach. It will be interesting to see how Heisman winner Reggie Bush will do against professional team.

Woman of the Moment
All of these photos are from the 2001 Speed Options feature in case you want to know.


Lisa the Matchmaker – Part 3
I got an email from Lisa the Matchmaker on Sunday night after I had posted the Weekend Update. I could have gone in and posted an edited comment to the blog. Instead, I decided to save it for a Monday filler.

Lisa said that her candidate to end my singlehoodedness, Liz, has been buried under crisis at her work. I wonder if she works for the Bush Administration. Lisa reassured me that Liz has every intention of calling me. Unfortunately, Lisa was unable to provide any spot along the space – time continuum when this event may take place.

I hope I will not have to wait for all of the planets to align themselves. Maybe I should qualify that by saying all of the major planets to align themselves. Some astronomers are talking about changing the definition of a planet and therefore include a bunch of floating space debris as planets.

Holy Mr. Spock.

Doug
Doug called me last night to let me know how his Sunday afternoon Film Studies seminar went.

Don’t ask me to explain a Sunday afternoon class.

When I was an undergraduate and that was a longtime ago in a galaxy not so far away, Sunday afternoons were supposed to be spent sobering up from the Saturday night fraternity party that lasted until 1:30 AM and then was followed by a very late dinner at the 24 hour Chinese restaurant in downtown. The smart partygoers left the Chinese restaurant before the food fight that usually happened around 3:00 AM.

Anyway.

Doug said that he likes his professor for the most part. It is a small class of maybe 15 students that will probably shrink with drop outs by the next class session. Doug asked the professor if they were going to watch any films by Dario Argento. For those of you who are not in Film Studies or a fan of Italian films, Argento tends to make rather excellent honor films and one of Doug’s favorite directors.

The professor said no, very emphatically. She said she found them disturbing to watch and that she had a bad experience when she was younger. I guess she was traumatized when she was a child.

Doug also wants to borrow two of my DVDs so he can watch them for class at his convenience. I will be lending him F. W. Murnau’s NOSFERATU and Robert Wiene’s THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI. Both of these films are classic examples of the early German Expressionist period.

I will probably buzz out to the South O.C. and go behind the Orange Curtain on Saturday to drop the DVDs off with Doug. This will give us an opportunity to have lunch at either Albertacos or the Original Tommy’s Hamburgers.

Epic road trip.


Be well and stay happy gentle readers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home