Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Oracle of Oracles

Oracle of Oracles
I think most of you know that I signed up for the Verizon.net DSL service about two months ago. My enrollment was not without its own set of troubles.

I had a visit from the Oracle of the Internet last night.

No, it wasn’t Al Gore or Bill Gates or Larry Ellison or Warren Buffett.

It was a more ethereal visitation from the Oracle. My two month old modem stopped functioning in the middle of a check on my email. It just stopped and nothing happened. This was not a good sign; if I were an ancient Greek, I would have folded up my laptop and barred the doors to keep the evil spirits away. I might have examined the entrails of the freshly killed goat to see what they augured for me.

This morning, shorty after sunrise, always an auspicious time, I performed the ancient Rituals to Resurrect a Modem, accompanied by the chattering of my hard drive and ever shifting images of the screensaver program. First, I cleansed my laptop of contamination and purged the Internet cache files and removed 34.5 MB of evil spirits and omens.

I think the Druids would have been proud of my efforts for the Power Cycling of the Modem Ritual was successful.

I felt restored and connected to the Ether once more. I could commune with my friends from distant lands.

Life was good again.

On the flipside, it is so troubling that I would have to resort to performing the Ritual of Power Cycling the Modem on such a new and fresh modem. The Ritual, in my experience, is usually reserved for older modems that have lost their connectivity ability through age and use.

Does this augury mean I will have more modem troubles in the future?

I certainly hope not.

I will take the usually precautions in the coming days and weeks. I will be backing up important files daily now and sending some of the more important material to easily recoverable storage at of-site locations at Hotmail.com and Yahoo.com email.

Later in the Day
I guess my Ritual of Power Cycling the Modem was a success for I have had no further trouble. I felt great about being able to follow all of the ancient rites correctly and that I paid proper respect to the ancient gods.

Life is better for me.

Haircut
I had to get my hair cut. I was really becoming ratty and seedy looking.

Michelle who has been my stylist for three years is still out on maternity leave. I have no idea when she will be back or if she will be back for that matter. I usually dread these sessions when Michelle is not around because no can come close to the way I like or want my hair to look at the end of the session.

Michelle usually comes up short on how I want my hair to look. She cuts my hair so it turns out the way she thinks it should look. I tolerate Michelle’s habit because I know the consequences of having to go find someone new to cut my hair is a far worse fate for me.

I could do what Doug does for his haircuts. He goes to a training salon and gets very individualized attention. I should also point out that he has surplus time on his hands and can afford to take an hour long hair cut. I would be spending two hours alone on driving there and back and then add on to that the time spent waiting and then the hair cut and you are quickly talking about a full half day’s effort.

Back to my story.

I went to the Great Clips this afternoon to take my chances with the hair styling gods.

The hair styling gods smiled on me today.

I had a new stylist. She was an older woman: don’t ask me how old because I couldn’t tell you. She was short, really short; she came somewhere between my elbow and my shoulder and English was a second language for her. Anyway, she did a great job on my hair.

I think she did a better job than Michelle has ever done with me and that is a statement. I think she did so well because she followed the way I had my hair when I sat down in the chair. She also didn’t try to strangle me with the little strip of paper that goes next to your neck when they put the apron on you.

I will ask for her again when I need another haircut. I may even do that if Michelle returns to the salon.

Woman of the Moment
I think Sunisa Kim has nice hair also.



I think these were early photos since they lack the makeup and styling of the other images.


Happy Halloween gentle readers.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home