Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Correcting Mistakes

Correcting Mistakes
I corrected a mistake that I made over the weekend yesterday.

It’s very good to recognize that you made an error and were able to correct it. I had downloaded Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 with all of its fancy Windows Live associated stuff. I had trouble with the download and then I had more difficulty with the setup. Getting used to the new version and layout was going to be a challenge.

As it was, I had to use Netscape Navigator as my browser to upload photos and text to the blog. That was an inconvenience for me.

I made the decision to change over to Mozilla Firefox as my browser yesterday because both IE7 and Navigator were unstable platforms. I had been out to the blog site during the day on both programs with no trouble. I had wanted to upload the new Woman of the Moment photos. Every time I went to Blogger.com with Navigator; I got an immediate disconnect for no known reason. There was no error message or anything.

I went to IE7 and figured that the new version would allow me to upload the images.

Wrong.

I could only upload one image before the program crapped out on me. I restarted the laptop and was greeted with an error message that said my laptop was now blocking cookies so I couldn’t connect with the Blogger.com server.

More frustration because I hadn’t made a change to the cookies settings.

Then, I remembered something that Doug said about using Firefox as a web browser. I decided to take his advice. I knew I would be no worse off with the change. What did I have to loose?

Nothing.

I downloaded Firefox and loaded it. First thing I noticed about was that it was half the size of IE7. Second thing I noticed was that I could upload photos and text to the blog over my Verzon.net DSL connection.

Firefox is not without its faults. It doesn’t have a slick home page. I’m not sure how good it will be when it comes to playing a video clip. Its layout and architecture seem fairly straight forward. Firefox is compatible with my McAfee Safe Site program whereas IE7 wouldn’t work with it.

IE7 uses a manual program of creating your own safe web site list. You can tell that there is something fundamentally wrong with it when it doesn’t recognize a Microsoft Corporation web site as being a safe site and one that children can view.

On second thought, maybe the IE7 was on to something after all.

So far, I really like Firefox. It is simple to use although some of the functions take a bit of time to learn. The layout looks like it is right out of Windows 3.0 or 95. It seems perfect for web browsing and sending and receiving emails.

One more reason to like Firefox is that it doesn’t seem to overwrite its own logo over the individual web site logos in the bookmarks section like IE7 does with alarming regularity. I think it is easier to find a web site in the bookmarks if you can scan for the site’s logo instead of reading the entire list or portion of the list.

Woman of the Moment
Yesterday and today’s photo came from a variety of sources that I found through Google Images. The thumbnail sidebar photo is from the Speed Options web site.




The Princess
The Princess called me this afternoon to say that she had received her annual shipment of Hershey’s chocolates for Halloween. She was particularly pleased with the Reese’s White Chocolate Peanut Butter cups. She ate one while we talked on the phone.

The Princess and her roommate were going out to dinner for sushi and then planning to return to have some more chocolate before calling it a night.

Interesting food combination.

I have been sending her these Fall / Halloween boxes of chocolates since she first went away to college at the University of Utah. I used to say that the package was from Daddy but I gave up saying that since I was the only one who ever sent large boxes [15 pounds / 7 kilos]. I figured that she could determine who was the sender.

Visitors
Yesterday’s visitor traffic of 19 visitors was back to normal after the surge at the end of last week.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home