Sunday, July 15, 2007

Weekend Update - July 15th

Weekend Update
I ran some errands on Saturday. I needed to pick up a new color ink cartridge for the printer. Canon, the printer company, was running a color photo paper promotion so it was close to impossible to find a single, individual color cartridge. I ended up going to three stores but I finally found one at the Office Depot.

I also bought a new web camera since my old one was not Windows Vista compatible. I got a Microsoft camera that seems to work well with the laptop in the test mode. The real test will come when I actually use it in an online session.

Visitors
It was an off week for visitors. The blog did manage to reach the 6,000 visitor level over the weekend. This total is from last year when I had trouble with the Site Meter function and I ended up starting over with the visitor count.

We had visitors from Korea [2], Ireland [2], Canada [3], Saudi Arabia, Japan, Finland, Venezuela, and Australia.

We had no visitors who spent any great amount of time in the blog.

I do appreciate each of you who took time to visit the blog.

Microsoft Office Professional 2007 Update
One of my purchases was an Update version of Office 2007. My old version was the XP edition. I felt it was time to upgrade since an upgrade would be several hundred dollars less expensive then buying a whole new program.

My students are all issued a student copy of Office 2007 when they enroll. I figured that I ought to be using what they are using.

Most of the programs are pretty much the same as the old XP version. That was good.

It seems that Microsoft is no longer using Ariel as the “be all” and “end all” font. I found that Microsoft likes the font Calibri and is using it as the default font in a number of programs like Word for example.

By and large, I do like the new version.

But, I hate what Microsoft has done to Word. I have never seen such a piece of shit program in my life. Granted, Word had gotten on the bloated side. Then, what Microsoft program hasn’t become bloated over time? The user manual that comes with the Upgrade said Word has grown to over 1,500 commands or functions from its first iteration. I can believe that it bloated out that much.

They may be right. I have never used all of the functions. I don’t know anyone who has for that matter.

Microsoft has taken away all of the old commands and buttons and largely hidden them. I could work around that I think without too much difficulty in the long run.

Where I got lost was trying to change the font from Calibri to Times New Roman and having the document print out with a 12 point font size. Try as I could, I was unable to change the font size to the point that it would print properly. The toolbar said 12 point font but the page printed out in something closer to an 8 point font size.

In my frustration, I was sorely tempted to toss my near new laptop out of the window. That was too extreme for me.

I removed the Upgrade program and then I reloaded my old Office XP version. Then, I upgraded all of the programs except Word. Now, I am satisfied with Office 2007.

Maybe Doug has been right all along; he would probably say something like, “Uhhhh Dad, this won’t happen if you had an Apple.”

Woman of the Moment
I need something to remove the vile Microsoft taste from my mouth. Woman of the Moment will always do that for me. Faline Song doesn’t look that short in the photos does she?




Dinner with Doug at Fleming’s Newport Beach
Doug and I went to dinner at Fleming’s in Newport Beach because we had not been out for an upscale dinner in over two months. The main reason to go there was Amy the Server was working there now and we wanted to support her at the new restaurant.

On balance, Fleming’s is a good steakhouse that I think is a cut or two below Morton’s. It was noisier than Morton’s and seemed to be more crowded. Like Morton’s Fleming’s serves a larger than necessary portion. I could not finish all of my dinner or my dessert.

I had a wedge salad; it is wedge of iceberg lettuce with blue cheese dressing, a small steak and very large baked potato. Doug had two lobster tails since he wasn’t eating beef last night. He also had some macaroni and cheese with a chipotle seasoning instead of his usual broccoli. We both had the chocolate mousse cake and that was an excellent choice.

Amy’s tables were in the very back, almost in the parking lot. I thought I was going to shown the door and asked not to come back. I was being taken to what looked an exit door that turned into a small room at the very last moment.

We were very happy to see Amy again. I think we will be back in a couple of months for another meal at Fleming’s with Amy the Server.

The Stylist
I couldn’t believe how I forgot to write about this last week.

The salon is located on one of those streets that have alternating days of no parking because of street sweeping. Those days are Thursday and Friday. It is something to deal with I guess.

I was sitting in the chair, having my hair washed. It is always nice to have an attractive young lady run her fingers through my hair. She was also massaging my neck and that was even better.

I had my hair full of shampoo when I saw the parking enforcement truck pull up and stop outside of the salon.

“Oh, there’s the parking meter person.”

The Stylist called out to the Receptionist, “Am I on the wrong side of the street?”

“Yeah.”

“Can you drive a stick [manual transmission car] and move my car for me?”

“No”

Then, I said, “Why don’t you go move your car? I can wait until you get back.”

The Stylist ran out of the salon to move her car as quickly as she could in her high heels. I must have looked very funny with all of the shampoo in my hair because the Receptionist laughed at me when she walked past where I was sitting and waiting for the Stylist to return.

The Stylist was successful at moving her car and avoiding a parking ticket. I felt rather good about warning her.


That was my weekend. I think it could have been better and it could have been worse for me.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home