Monday, September 03, 2007

Labor Day Weekend Update - September 3rd

Labor Day Weekend Update
The weather here has turned unseasonably hot. The forecasted high for to day is 101F / 38C in downtown Los Angeles. It should be around 85F – 30C at the beach. It will cool off to around 19 or 20C tonight at the beach.

The weather ought to be back to normal by Tuesday or Wednesday. I will be very happy when that happens.

Our local news television readers, especially the weather news readers, are having a field day with the heat. They are almost breathlessly reporting on the “Heat Alert” and are warning us to avoid the heat.

Hello?

I like to think most people are smart enough to stay inside and in a cool location when the temperature is 105F – 41C outside. I think we know to drink plenty of cool liquids.

My cool liquid of choice was more than one Heineken Premium Light Beer. That worked perfectly for me.

Did you happen to see the Will Farrell film, ANCHORMAN by any chance?

The Will Farrell character in the film is based on one of our local news readers, Harold Greene. Greene is Ron Burgundy personified. Doug and I were snickering on Thursday night during the 6:00 PM newscast. Greene is close to clueless when he is on the camera.

Visitors
We had 507 visitors come to the blog in August. This was a very nice pickup from the lows of June and July.

We had visitors from Japan [6], Australia [4], Spain, Canada [5], Austria, United Kingdom [2], Ireland [2], France [3], Taiwan [3], Texas, Singapore [3], Netherlands, Hungary [3], Malaysia, Thailand, and Philippines [2].

We also had three visitors who stopped by for longer visits. We had one who stopped by for sixteen minutes and two who stopped by for thirteen minutes each.

I do appreciate all of you who took time out of your days, or nights as the case may have been, to visit the blog.

Microsoft Word 2007
I have struggled with Microsoft Word 2007 this weekend. I like and am using the other elements of Office 2007. But, Word is coming close to driving me to drink.

I like to print in a single space mode most of the time when I write letters and things like the blog. For the life of me, I could not get the program to print in the single space mode. I tried everything I could think of. I changed the spacing in the toolbar to double space and then back to single space and nothing happened.

I like to write and print with a twelve point font. New Times Roman is my favorite font. I do use Book Antigua when I chat online. Try as much as I wanted, I could not get the font to register as twelve point.

In the end, I went back to the tried and true and highly workable Microsoft Word 2003 from Office 2003.

I just don’t understand what is wrong with Word 2007.

I gave up on it on Saturday afternoon. I doubt it will ever be used on the laptop for the foreseeable future.

Utah Football
Utah was not victorious against Oregon State [24 – 7] on Saturday at a game in Corvallis, Oregon.

It looks like it will be a long year for our Utes. The teams were almost equally matched in passing. However, Oregon State seems to have done a better job of rushing the ball and then stopping Utah’s rushing offense.

Oregon State is the first of two Pac 10 opponents this year. UCLA, maybe looking to join the Mountain West, and therefore avoid having to play USC, is playing both Utah and BYU this year. It will be interesting to see how well UCLA will do playing in the higher altitude of Salt Lake City.

Woman of the Moment
Today’s Woman of the Moment is Han Hyo Joo. I picked Hyo Joo because I have more photos of her than I have of the other two actresses.



I had hoped that Speed Options would have a new Woman of the Moment for me. It looks like I may be into recycling the Woman of the Moment by the end of the week. Speed Options has been undergoing a server upgrade since Thursday. The upgrade is now almost five days old and that is not a very good sign.

Programming Note
Since it is quarter break this week, I would not expect that I will be posting everyday.



Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home