Sunday, August 26, 2007

Weekend Update - August 26th

Weekend Update
The road in front of the building got marked for the lane painting on Thursday morning. It looks like my forecast of having the resurfacing done by Labor Day, September 3rd is fairly reasonable. I will be very glad when the project is completed and the construction mess gone.

It had been on the really warm side at the beach this past week with temperatures up in the middle 80s F / 28 – 29C. I was almost looking forward to a warm weekend. As luck would have it, the weather turned in time for the weekend. Yesterday, it was around 73F / 22C and today it may be just a bit cooler with hardly any sun to speak of.

There is a possibility of rain today. It would come from what is left of Hurricane Dean. I am not expecting any real measurable rainfall. I know the weather news reader will excited about that in the local evening news show on television.

I went to the market this morning because I figured that if I went in the morning I would miss most of the crowds. I was right; there were no crowds. The construction is taking place at the market. I asked a clerk how much longer until the remodeling is completed. He said it should be another two weeks. It seems to me the store has reduced its stock since some of the shelf space is now devoted to table and chairs so customers may sit and drink coffee or eat sandwiches and salads.

Personally, I do not go to the market for sandwiches or coffee.

The market has installed some of those new self checkout devices. One of the managers asked me if I wanted to try one. I said that I preferred to old way of checking out from a market with a live clerk.

I did hear some distant thunder this afternoon and I looked out of the window into the park. There was an indication that there had been some rain, you could call it a modest trace. It was just enough rain to make a mess of your car’s appearance.

Flash Gordon
I gave up on the Sci-Fi Channel’s Flash Gordon on Friday night. The show was about a parasite. That lost me; I have seen enough parasites, good and bad, in Star Trek and Stargate SG-1.

The casting also lost me. The actor who plays Flash Gordon seems to be too much of a metro-sexual for my taste. He has no or at least I have not seen any overt, aggressive displays of emotion like you have with Captain Kirk or the original Flash Gordon, Buster Crabbe. The rest of the cast borders on shallow to cardboard.

The writing also sucks for the series. None of the characters are really interesting or likeable.

But, what do you expect when you have two female writers trying to bring a classic comic book to television? I doubt the writers have ever read an action – adventure comic book.

The only nice thing that I can say about the film is the CGI effects are nice; only nice.

The Sci-Fi Channel could have sunk a few more dollars into the script and maybe even gotten a decent actor or actress to play one of the major roles. They got Richard Dean Anderson to star in Stargate SG-1 and that lasted for ten years.

Woman of the Moment
I decided to do something different with the Woman of the Moment for the next couple of days. I am going to post images of the young actresses in my current favorite Korean soap opera, High as the Sky, Wide as the Earth.

I do not have a lot of photos of the actress so each one will be here for only a few days at most. If I had been able to read Korean, I probably could have found more sites that carried more images.

I had given some thought to explaining who the characters are and how they relate to one another in the show. I gave up on this idea since the show is up to Episode 120 or so. That would be just too much to explain easily.




This is Han Hyo Joo.

Visitors
We had visitors from Nigeria, Israel, Australia [4], Japan [6], Netherlands, Poland, Ireland, Cambodia, Brazil, Hungary, Canada [3], France, Taiwan, Finland, Hong Kong [2], Texas [3], Argentina, and Korea. There were no visitors who stayed around for more than a few minutes this week. There were no new national visitors this week either.

I do appreciate all of you who stop by the blog and see what is on my mind.

Teaching
I found out what classes I will be teaching on Friday.

The Associate Dean who handles the scheduling said I am scheduled to teach Principles of Marketing and Fundamentals of Income Tax Preparation. He said he was trying to see if he could find me a third class to teach. He has to place the full time instructors first and then see if there is a class left that I can teach.

I have taught the two classes before. Actually, I have taught only half of the classes before. I started out in the middle of the term at school with these classes and three others. It is nice since I have half of the lesson plans already written.

Another nice thing is that my classes, right now anyway, are morning classes. This means they will be smaller and probably more fun for me and the student. I will also be able to watch my Korean soap opera, High as the Sky, Wide as the Earth, every night of the week and Monday Night Football.

Programming Note
There will be no blog on Monday because I have two make up classes to teach. The school was closed for Fourth of July and the missed class session has to be made up so it will be done on Monday.

Thank goodness there is no Monday Night Football to worry about missing.


That was my weekend and I hope your weekend was more exciting than mine.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home