Sunday, January 18, 2009

Where did all of the visitors go?

Where did all the visitors go?
Where did all of the visitors go? That’s a question that I would like to have answered. The blog traffic has fallen off of a cliff it seems. The blog has been averaging around 110 visitors a day until very recently.

Friday and Saturday’s combined traffic count was only 30 visitors. So far today, there have been nine visitors.

Wowie kazowie.

Do you suppose that young men are no longer interested in looking at young female models in bikinis any longer? That could be a sign of the end of civilization as we know it.

Then, there is the end of the Mayan Long Calendar in December 2010 to consider as well.

Before the visitor traffic collapse, we had achieved a total visitor count of 785 for the week. Next week, we will be lucky to break 100 visitors.

I almost feel like quoting from the Band of Brothers soliloquy in Henry V [Act IV, Scene 2, Lines 1 through 67]. I do appreciate those few, those happy few that stopped by to visit the blog.

Dr. Karen and Me
Dr. Karen was out on Friday when Doug and I went in for my regular three week visitation. We saw another doctor who was seeing me for the first time.

Our visit was not one that we are going to put down in the record books as being a great one. The new doctor does not know me as well as Dr. Karen; that is not his fault. It is the luck or not so much luck of the draw.

The oncologists want to wait until after I have another CT scan on February 9th to make a further evaluation of my condition and likely course of treatment. I hate the CT scan because you have to drink about 24 ounces of wall paper paste or what I think wall paper paste would taste like so the scan will function properly.

On the plus side, the MRI I had a week ago showed no change in the lesions on my liver. The new doctor agreed that no change was a positive sign; it was a stable indication and stability is a good outcome.

Mentoring
I met with one of my students who asked me for help in writing her resume and finding a new job on Saturday afternoon.

We talked for about an hour or so. She did come around to the idea of a mentorship. This will benefit her because now is not the time to be changing jobs, especially leaving ones with good pay, good retirement plan, and good medical benefits. I think it is a question of her coworkers more than anything else.

Crummy coworkers abound in almost every job.

I gave my mentee a simple assignment that will help her evaluate her job and a journal to record her thoughts, ideas, and questions. I will get her some help on resume writing and interviewing so she can be prepared if she does decide to leave.

Lunch with Doug
I had lunch with Doug at the Fatburger in Aliso Viejo in South Orange Country. Lunch came before the mentorship meeting so I skipped having the onions on my Fatburger with cheese and fries.

We talked briefly about the doctor visit on Friday and a little bit on where I will be taking him for his birthday dinner. We will not be having a traditional Douguary Dinner at Morton’s as we have had in the past. Doug wants to go to a new steak restaurant in Beverly Hills called Wolfgang.

It should be interesting to try a new place.

My Friend Gloria
I went by my friend Gloria’s frozen yogurt and ice cream store on my way home. I figured the chocolate ice cream would help calm my stomach after lunching at Fatburger.

Gloria served up what Doug would call a “law enforcement” serving size. I ordered two scoops and Gloria filled the cup up to almost three scoops worth of ice cream. Naturally, I didn’t want to hurt her feelings by not eating all of the ice cream so I added some chocolate and caramel sauces and finished it. I didn’t get anything on my shirt either.

Dr. Karen would have smiled at me for consuming all of those calories.


That was my weekend; busy on Saturday and working on school lecture notes on Sunday.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home