Saturday, January 24, 2009

Winding up the Week

Winding up the Week
Well, it is almost the weekend for me. This is a good time to look back and see what happened since the weekend. My Wednesday post got lost in a flurry of activity after my morning class. I had a light breakfast and a very late lunch that probably combined to give me a sugar low and a sense of exhaustion. I took a nap and that killed my afternoon writing session. I chatted with my friend Ling for a couple of hours Wednesday night before I crawled off to bed.

Thursday was a better day for me.

I stopped by my friend Gloria’s frozen yogurt and ice cream store for some chocolate ice cream of course. I was on my way to a meeting with the Dean of the Graduate School at Argosy University where I am taking my Doctor of Business Administration program.

Ice cream is always good to take in reasonable amounts. It helps keep my weight up and that makes Dr. Karen happy. Besides, the detour to go to Gloria’s store was less than nominal. And, I had a chance to talk to Gloria and catch up with the drama in her life.

As you all know, there is hardly any drama in my life right now.

Gloria was excited about the job referral I had passed on to her. It is for a department chair position at a local post secondary education school. She has already had two interviews including one with the school director so that seems favorable for her.

I also took a photo of a mural of Gloria from her store since she doesn’t like to have her photo taken. I can understand that since she is working behind the counter and her hair is up in a bun or something like that.

This is a reasonably accurate mural of Gloria except that she is not that tall in real life and I think her hair is shorter now.

My meeting at Argosy with the Dean went very well. I was concerned that I would face a time limit to complete my dissertation problem because of the cancer. I haven’t been able to write every much over the last year.

The Dean said that he would automatically extend my time limit by eighteen months. That solved one problem for me. The time extension lifted a real weight off of my back.

Then, there was the second problem for me. My dissertation committee chair had left the school while I was laid low with the chemotherapy. The Dean suggested that I either consider forming a new committee with a new chair and a new member with a background in statistics or asking my old chair if he would be willing to continue to serve and then find a new statistics member.

I said that I would like to contact my old chair and ask him to continue and I suggested a new statistics member that I have had for classes before for the committee. The Dean was agreeable to this so life was good again for me.

This morning I checked to see if I still had my old chair’s email address from before I had my catastrophic Windows Vista failure. Unfortunately, it looks like I do not have it as I have not found it in any of the likely places. I still have a couple of remote places to look but I am not optimistic for them.

We had what passes for some Winter weather in Southern California today; light rain and cool temperatures. The rain was only enough to make a mess of the finish the Pathfinder as I was out driving around this morning and afternoon.

Visitors to the blog have continued to drop off. The blog is now averaging eleven visitors a day. Last week, we were a little higher and had a total of 121 visitors; that would have been a normal day’s count prior to the fall off.

All in all, it has not been a really bad rest for the week for me.


Be well and stay happy.

[I really meant to post this on Friday.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home