Friday, June 12, 2009

Back to School

Back to School
Classes started this week. So far, my classes seem to be good ones. My Microeconomics course has about 18 students who seem fairly well grounded with some understanding of economics. My Marketing Research class only has three students, all of whom have been in at least eight or nine other classes with me.

The school used to place a substantial importance on student attendance in evaluating instructors. Teaching in Southern California in the Summer is particularly difficult since we have so many attractive nuisances like the beach, Disneyland, baseball, and a host of other attractions and activities.

I have had terrible attendance results when trying to teach in the Summer. The local administration knows and accepts this as a fact of life and being located where the school. The headquarters did not but then it is not located in a fun place like Southern California

Now, with the shift towards emphasizing completion of the course, I ought to be better in my evaluations. Most all of my students are within less than a year to graduation so they are very focused on completing all of their classes. I think about 75% of the Microeconomics course class is within one or two quarters of graduation.

I feel sorry for some of the students who have to take their capstone course which is very difficult course and Microeconomics in the same quarter. Microeconomics is a hard class because none of the students are business majors and have little day to day use for or interest or background in economics.

I had a recommendation – reference check drift across the email inbox this week. It was on one of my favorite, former students. It was an easy response for me; I think I said that she gets her ankles wet when she walks on water or at least a numerical grade to that affect.

Visitors
We had another moderately successful week with visitors to the blog. We were down slightly from last week with 641 visitors who viewed 886 unique pages. The visitor traffic mix has remained fairly constant with roughly 60% or more of the visitors coming from outside of the United States.

I do appreciate all of you who took time to stop by and visit the blog.

banking is simple
banking is simple is my new blog that I started this week. I decided that I should have a professional sort of blog now that I joined linkedin. You can find the blog at http://bankingmadesimple.blogspot.com. I know a bit about banking since I have worked in the field for close to thirty five years and survived several business cycles. Besides, banking is really simple when you break it down. Banking only gets complicated when you try to do something fancy or at the edges of acceptable practices.

The only thing I need to do is figure out how to get Sitemeter on the new blog. Blogger.com has changed its program to set up new blogs. I guess this means that I will have to take my laptop with me when I see Doug next. He helped me with Sitemeter on the Balancing Checkbooks blog.

Other Stuff
I went into the clinic this morning for my periodic blood tests. I had a new technician draw my blood today. She was not as good as the others who work in the laboratory. On the plus side, the whole process only took an hour from when I left the flat until when I returned home.

The weather has been crummy all week long. We are suffering from an unseasonable stretch of persistent low clouds and fog along the coast that lasts almost all day long.

Not a fun start for the Summer.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home