Sunday, June 07, 2009

Weekend Update - June 7th

Quarter Break IV – End of the Break
The sun finally came out this weekend; naturally, it came out, it is the end of my Quarter Break.

I would have loved to have taken a nice, long drive on the freeways today in the Prelude with the windows down and the sunroof open and let the sun work on my tan. But, at USG$3.00 for a gallon of gasoline, I decided to settle on a drive over to my local Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf in Torrance.

Tihana was working today. I plan my visits to coincide when she is working. I do this because she makes my ice blended drinks just the way I want to be. I think Tihana exceeded her best efforts today. Today’s large ice blended was very thick, the way I really enjoy them.

Perfectomundo.

I bought a home shredder the other day. I have to clean out my flat and destroy some old financial records. I have close to twenty years of records to shred. I have been working on the pile of files; I take a couple of years to shred each day so that I won’t drive my neighbors mad or unduly wear out the shredder. The pile of files is slowly shrinking.

Since it is almost Summer, I have opened up the windows more to air the flat out and cool it off. Opening the windows is the only form of air conditioning that I have in the flat.

Last night, I went to see “Ring of Fire” which is a semibiographical musical about the life of the American country music singer Johnny Cash. I had gone to the play with the expectation that most of the music would be Cash’s as I had heard in “My Way,” about the life of Frank Sinatra.

I was disappointed in that respect. The music was a broad selection of the times and did include some of his more famous songs.

I was also disappointed by the cast selection that included talented singers but they were not from the South. As such, they had to affect that unique Appalachian – Southern dialect and tone. I suppose that it is difficult to find singers in Los Angeles who are native to that region of our country.

My disappointment with the play I think can be attributed to my misspent youth when I served in the United States Navy. One of the officers on the good ship Leonard F. Mason was from Rome, Georgia. He had a real appreciation for the music of the South; he also had an extensive collection of reel to reel tapes full of country and Southern music. It didn’t matter where your stateroom was in After Officers because you could always hear, whether you wanted to or not, his music.

It is always good to end a post on a high note. Paulina Garces is a high note with me.





Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home