Saturday, July 18, 2009

Date with Dr. Karen and Me and the Cancer

Date with Dr. Karen and Me and the Cancer
I had my regular appointment with Dr. Karen on Friday. Doug came with me for this appointment because she would be giving us the results of the MRI and CT tests.

Friday’s appointment, from start to finish took less than three hours. Doug was amazed at how fast the time went by. He could remember the times when we spent five or six hours at the hospital. This time doesn’t include waiting time for the prescription to be filled, just the time it took to drop off the prescription.

Anyway, back to the story.

As usual, I had prepared questions for Dr. Karen in advance. I had ten questions or matters that I wanted to touch on for this appointment. Usually, I only have two or three questions; I had more because of the MRI and CT tests. I like this approach because I do not forget anything at the last minute. I think Dr. Karen appreciates a patient who has taken an interest in his or her treatment plan and prepares for the appointments.

The appointment began with Nurses Wendy and Vrunda taking my vital signs. Wendy asked me the same questions about how I was feeling, was I allergic to any medicines, and did I smoke. Wendy was upset with me because I had a cigar last month for Fathers’ Day. I told Wendy that this was my first cigar in over a year.

Wendy let me pass with a strong warning of, “don’t smoke anymore.”

Vrunda took my blood pressure. It was down to 129/74, lower than the last time. Vrunda said I was a good boy.

The Test Results
My regular tests were all fine; my kidney and liver functions are normal. This is good because the Xeloda can adversely affect the kidneys. All of the results were in line with my prior tests and Dr. Karen was pleased.

The MRI and the CT showed nothing new. This is obviously good for me. My lesions on my liver have not changed size in almost 21 months. They are both on the small side; one is about a centimeter across and the other is less than a centimeter across. The tests did not detect any signs of new cancer or cancer that was spreading.

Perfectomundo.

Dealing with the Colorectal Surgeons
We told Dr. Karen about last week’s visit to the colorectal surgery clinic. Dr. Karen just shrugged as if to say, “oh well, that’s colorectal surgery for you.”

We did talk about the long term treatment plan. Dr. Karen wants to go forward this Fall with a recommendation to the Tumor Board to approve a reconnection of my colon reconnection procedure. I’m certain there is a fancy medical term for the procedure; I just don’t know what it is called.

Then, we got off on a tangent of when would be the best time for the procedure. I felt the first quarter of 2010 would be ideal for me because this would be good with school and would not interfere with the holidays. Doug was all in favor of doing it as soon as possible; easy for him to say since he wasn’t going under the anesthesia and the knife. Dr. Karen was for waiting and seeing how things developed further after the upcoming colonoscopy.

At least there is some good timing ahead. My next visit to their clinic is a week before one of my regularly scheduled visits with Dr. Karen and we would be able to discuss the visit results.

Don’t play poker with Dr. Karen
I think Dr. Karen must be a great poker player. She never changes her cheerful expression. After we finished talking about the possibilities of a reconnection surgery schedule, Dr. Karen mentioned, rather casually and in a so by the way manner, that once the operation is performed, she will take me off of the Xeloda and probably put me on something else.

What a dilemma for me.

Dr. Karen knows that I dislike taking the Xeloda. Just because I willingly take 3,000 mg of Xeloda a day doesn’t mean that I like to do that. I take the medicine because it kills cancer. I don’t like the Xeloda because it has been making my fingerprints and hands dry up like the Mojave River in August.

Now, I am going to be faced with a decision to have the surgery as soon as possible or wait until next year and suffer more dry skin.

So where do I stand now?
Actually, I am sitting at my desk right now as I type this blog – email.

I am in good condition according to Dr. Karen. My body is functioning normally I am having no trouble with food. She giggled when I said that she could see that from my weight gain over the almost last two years. The MRI and CT tests were unable to detect any signs of new cancer. I am optimistic and feel good about my future.

Life looks very good to me.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home