Sunday, July 05, 2009

End of the Holiday Weekend

End of the Holiday Weekend
I had a good weekend. I enjoyed the local fireworks although I was dressed warmer than usual. I made some more progress on my dissertation. I did some cleaning around the flat.

For those of you with Southern California envy, cheer up. All is not sunny in Southern California. We have had almost sixty days of below normal temperatures and this is July that I am writing in. Most of the time, the temperature has been four to five degrees below normal. I had to wear my South Carolina Gamecocks hoodie sweatshirt to watch the fireworks display at the beach.

So much for global warming.

This was a very good local fireworks show; one of the best in several years. The fact that there weren’t as many low clouds last night made the show even better. I think best fireworks display was in 1968 when an ammunition dump at Da Nang blew up. Actually, it exploded for a full day or so. It wasn’t very much of an aerial display but it sure was loud

June was a good month for the blog’s traffic. We had 2,917 visitors to the blog for the month. They viewed 4,188 unique pages; January 1, 2007 is still the most popular page.

For some strange reason, three Iranians visited the blog one day last week. They were interested in the January 1, 2007 blog page. For those of you who have not gone to this page, it is the most popular because of the large number of images of young actresses and models in bikinis.

I don’t think viewing this page would be considered something a good Muslim would do.

I wonder what Iran’s Guardian Council would say about this.

One of the areas for my cleaning was the laptop. It has been a while since I cleaned it up. I took some time on Friday “to dump all trash clear of the stern.” That was a standard Navy phrase that was piped at the end of the work day. I dumped almost 3.0 GB of data into the ether. The 3.0 GB represented about seven percent of my in-use space on the C drive. I would like to say that the laptop is performing better but I can’t really tell if it is or not.

Oh well, I feel better for cleaning up the hard drive.

One of the other cleaning activities on the laptop was dumping Internet Explorer 8. I hated IE 7 and readily embraced the beta version of IE 8. I loved the beta version; it was stable and responsive.

The beta version was the first beta version that I have ever knowingly downloaded and used. I downloaded the beta version because it would have to be better than IE 7 and, if worse came to worse, I could always go back to the restore point or load Firefox.

I gave up on the final version of IE 8 on Friday morning. It stopped functioning.

That was an excellent reason to give up.

IE 8 had problems with stability for me prior to my decision. Most of the stability issues were merely inconveniences. I could accept them because I use Microsoft software.

I went to bed on Thursday night after checking my email and sending out one or two jokes of questionable quality to some of my friends. I put the laptop into the Microsoft Sleep mode; just like I had done all week before. I also slept very soundly on Thursday night.

Friday morning when I went to check my email and news the laptop could not connect to the Internet. I tried power cycling the laptop and the modem twice with no success. I checked the phone line and it was fine. The modem indicator lights seemed to show no problems.

In the end, I phoned Verizon tech support. The tech support person tested my line from his end. Surprisingly enough, the connection problem disappeared almost immediately.

So far, I am very happy with Firefox 3.5 as my new web browser. It is smaller and seems to be faster than IE 8. It allows web site owners to have their logos displayed next to their web site in the favorites and bookmark section, making it easier for me to find a web site.

One of the nicer features about Firefox is that it doesn’t require a great deal of masthead space. IE 8 required a full line just to display McAfee’s Site Advisor ratings. Firefox simply slides the Site Advisor rating into the line at the bottom of the page where the space is being used by several other applications.

Less wasted space and more visible space for me to enjoy.

Perfectomundo.

I had one of my former students email me with a request for help with her thesis on Friday. She is struggling right now because writing is not an area that she is strong in. I think she may also need help with her topic and research as well.

I will help her but she will ignore most of my advice. That is her way of handling complex tasks.

On the subject of school, my substitute teaching on Thursday evening was a bust of sorts. For some strange reason, the instructor told the students that they did not have to come to class.

So why ask me to substitute then?

Obviously, the cancellation of the class is something that an instructor cannot simply do on his or her own. I think it requires the approval of at least the academic dean or the school director. It’s something that I have never seen before.

Oh well, it is not my problem.

This being Sunday, I went to my local Coffee Ban & Tea Leaf. It was an off-day at the Bean since Tihana wasn’t working today. Life happens and we move on.

When I was loading web sites’ logos into Firefox yesterday, I took some time to wander around the Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf web site. One of the features was some new ice blended coffee products. I decided to give one of the new products, Tiramisu, a try today. On balance, the Tiramisu is not an all together great product. It is a good product but nowhere close to the discontinued Mocha Mudslide classic from 2007 when Doug introduced me to the drink.

When I go back next week for my regular run to the Beam, I hope Tihana is there and that she will make me a most excellent large ice blended, decaf, half mocha, half white chocolate, with whipped cream, and made thick drink for me.

That is near perfection for me.


I hope you all had a great weekend.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home