Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Still Cool

Still Cool
It is still cool in Southern California. Usually by this time of the year, I have hung up my long flannel pajama pants. It is too cool for me to give up on long pants just yet. Maybe by the weekend I will be able to shift to my shorts for the Summer sleeping.

Medical Tests and Stuff
I had my MRI on Monday. As MRIs go, it was nice. The building waiting room is still too cold. The building management needs to do a better job of balancing its cold air supply. The MRI machines need to be cooled for them to effective. The cold air spills out all over the building.

On the plus side, my shoulders did not hurt after being stretched over my head while I was in the MRI tube.

I watch “House” which is a medical show on television from time to time. On the show, the MRI always has a large opening and never has any of the loud noises a real MRI does. The staff gives you ear plugs to deaden the noise. I ought to ask for one of those quiet machines the next time I go in for a MRI scan.

After the MRI, I went to have my eyes checked. I figured that my prescription for my glasses was close to two years old and needed to be updated. I also wanted to get all of my examinations out of the way in one month.

Jessica was the staffer who took care of me. She did all of the non-doctor tests. I did enjoy it when she adjusted and then held my head in place when she took photos of the inside of my eyes.

I so did not enjoy the blinding flash of light when Jessica took the photos.

Jessica convinced me to get a new set of frames to go with my new lenses. She thought that I should try ones that were narrower than what I had been buying over the years. My last two pairs were in a modified aviator style. They were not as large when measured vertically. Jessica thought they looked more sophisticated.

I was easily led astray by an attractive young woman.

Because the lenses are not as tall, the area where I have to look through for close up reading is narrower and, thus, harder to find. I will get used to the new lenses soon enough.

The next set of lenses will be back to the old style.

The doctor said that my eyes were fine and there was no sign of glaucoma. That was nice. She did notice a slight enlargement in the size of my optic nerve. It has changed very little since 2000 and the difference may be a result of using different technology to take the images.

I did the doctor to send me a set of the inner eye photos so I can forward them on to my regular doctor since he is treating me for diabetes. She said she would and hopefully it will not take seven months to send me a murky and illegible set of photos.

Prelude
I took the Prelude in for its annual smog equipment inspection and certification today. I have to do this every year because it is a very old car by California standards; it will be 21 years old in September.

The Prelude passed the test this year although one test was on the marginal side. Next year, I will have it tuned up just before I take it for the annual smog check just to be safe. There is no sense in taking a chance and spending extra money.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home