Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Doug came over on Sunday

Doug came over on Sunday
Doug came over on Sunday after going to an engagement brunch in Santa Monica. His best friend Robin is getting married sometime next year. Doug gets to be the best man.

I’m not sure how thrilled Doug is about wearing a tuxedo to the wedding. He is more of jeans and tee shirt guy.

We talked instead of me writing the blog for Sunday afternoon. One of the big topics was how does one handle the group meal where some drink more than others and then want to divide the bill evenly instead of proportionately. This is one of those questions that does not lend itself well to a simple answer. Sometimes, it is better to pay your more than fair share for the sake of long term friendships while it is better to make a stand for your principles at other times.

I suppose the third option is to develop friends that do not drink very much.

Other Odds and Ends from a dull Weekend
I was reading the press release from the Princeton Review about which college is the biggest party school. Our, the Princess and me, beloved University of Utah didn’t make it into the Top 20 Party Schools. I suppose that this is a good idea; after all, one goes to college to learn.

Utah did not land on the list of the Stone Cold Sober Schools. BYU landed on this list at Number 1 for the twelfth straight year. Way to go Cougars.

I spent some time writing in my other blog yesterday. I wrote about how much the federal government could be exposed to as a result of the bailouts it has gotten involved in. I found the USD$23.7 trillion maximum exposure to be a staggering amount. This works out to about USD$80,000 for every man, woman, and child in the United States. You can read more at http://bankingmadesimple.blogspot.com if you like reading scary stories.

I signed up for online banking at one of my banks. It is free and easy to use. The bank has thought out the security aspect very well. They want to make the site as secure as possible.

In the end, I think they failed.

The bank failed because I ended up writing down my password. In order to make the system secure, I had to select a password that didn’t contain any combination of letters from my name or initials. I guess the bank felt that I would only be using one financial institution so it would be easy to remember my password.

That is a false premise. I have passwords all over the place ranging from three different ones at school to my email password. It is close to impossible for me to remember all of them so I write the more obscure ones down.

So much for security.

The bank did have some bizarre security questions like where was my grandmother born or when did I meet my now ex-wife. Those are good ones I suppose. To the bank’s credit, I was able to use a common, for me, user identification word.

Today was a busy day for emergency vehicles outside of the building. It seemed like there was an ambulance or fire truck going by about once every two hours or so. I was out on the balcony reading this afternoon when a Redondo Beach Fire Department truck pulled out of the park next door’s parking lot and rushed off somewhere.

Today was not a good day for naps.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home