Friday, July 31, 2009

Lunch with Doug

Lunch with Doug
Doug and I met for lunch on Thursday at Morton’s The Steakhouse in Santa Ana. It is our favorite restaurant; we have been going there or to another Morton’s for seventeen years. That is a nice record.

We talked about a wide range of ideas at lunch. Los Angeles Lakers basketball was one of the ideas that interested. He thought the Lakers had to resign Lamar Odom if they want to repeat as NBA Champions. I thought Odom was somewhat of liability since his performance seemed to vary widely from game to game this past season. I often wondered which Lamar Odom would show up.

Doug, on the other hand, felt Odom was one of the keys to the offensive successes of the Lakers, especially when he considered the weak play of Bynum. He had a strong point there. Doug called Odom a “free spirit.” I thought that was a generous call. He should be happy that the Lakers and Odom reached a new contract agreement yesterday after our lunch.

Doug asked me what plans I had for the flat. I told that I was thinking of replacing the existing carpet in part with wood flooring and carpeting in the bedrooms. Doug urged me to consider putting in wood flooring everywhere except the kitchen and bathrooms. I was still undecided when our meals came so I put off making a decision.

I had a Morton’s Prime Burger with Swiss cheese, tomato, onion, and French fries. I also had a Morton’s Salad so I have something that was modestly healthy for my lunch. Doug had a grilled chicken sandwich because he is cutting back on his beef consumption now and he wanted to control the amount of fish he eats as well.


The Morton’s Prime Burger was excellent. It was cooked to perfection, medium with a touch of pink in the middle of the beef patty. The Swiss cheese sort of flowed down the sides of the beef patty. I think having some pickles would have been nice but that was not an option.

All in all, it was a perfect lunch for both of us.

Checking flooring prices
I went out today to get an idea what the proposed flooring would cost me. I went to Lowe’s and Home Depot because it seems likely that they would a better price based on their volume purchasing activities.

Checking flooring prices was a real eye opener for me.

First of all, there a very large selection to choose from when it comes to wood flooring; the same can be said for carpets as well. I thought that Lowe’s had a better selection of wood flooring and carpet compared to Home Depot.

I did some rough estimates based on the assumption that I would pay for professional installation which includes moving furniture around and hauling away the debris from the project. If I went with Doug’s all wood floor idea, I think I would be spending around USD$6,000 which struck me as being rather pricy for my modest 900 square foot flat. Replacing the carpet would run around USD$3,500 or so, depending on the carpet grade I pick.

If I put tile on the kitchen floor, that could add another USD$1,000 or so. But, if I put in a new tile floor, I might as well put in a new granite counter and backsplash in the kitchen as well.

This was about the time that I decided I needed to go home for the day. What seemed like a simple and modest project grew substantially for me.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home