Sunday, December 20, 2009

Catching Up with Myself

Catching Up with Myself
Yes, I have been busy and I have been away from the blog. This is, after all, a hectic time of the year for me and most everybody that I know.

Dr. Karen and me
I went to see Dr. Karen on the 11th for my regular once every three weeks visit. In addition to the appointment, I was also dropping off my Christmas gifts of Belgian dark chocolate brownies to the nursing staff and Dr. Karen.

The nurses love the brownies; they’ve had them before and Wendy and Vhrunda always say that I can bring them more at anytime. I wasn’t terribly surprised when they ignored my comment that each brownie was between 200 and 250 calories. They were too busy looking for their favorite flavors.

This was the first time that Dr. Karen received her own box of brownies. She is more concerned about my health and eating healthy foods in general. She was apprehensive about the calorie count. I think that concern dimmed a bit when I told her the brownies could be frozen for up to four or five months.

Dr. Karen will be the first to freeze the brownies. Everyone else finishes them off in a week or less time.

Getting back to my medical condition, Dr. Karen said that my lab tests were good and what she expected. I am in a medical limbo of sorts until after I see the colorectal surgeons on January 4th when we talk about their treatment plan.

My next regularly scheduled appointment with Dr. Karen was scheduled for January 1st. I told her that I was more than willing to show at the usual time for an appointment.

Dr. Karen smiled and said, “That’s ok Charles; let’s just slide your appointment to January 8th.”

Perfectomundo.

The January 8th appointment means that I will get an extra week off of Xeloda. That has to be good.

Growing another moustache
I had given some thought to growing my moustache back this Winter. I have asked a number of women that I see regularly what they think of the idea. Molly the Stylist thinks growing it back is an excellent idea but that I should cut it off when Spring comes around. Wendy and Vhrunda were too busy with the brownies. Half a dozen of my former female students that I have spoken to since school started think that I should grow it back. There is, of course, a possible element of student insincerity and currying favor with the instructor in or with some of those comments.

I will ask the Princess and her mother when I see them on December 22nd when we will observe Christmas.

Fountain pens
I have a couple of rather old, more than thirty years old, fountain pens. I keep them mostly for sentimental value largely because of how I obtained them and how I used them over the years. They have deteriorated and were no longer working. I was on the verge of throughing them out when I decided to see if there were any fountain pen repair places in Southern California.

Actually, there are several repair stores in Southern California. I found one that I will visit during my Christmas Break from school. I hope that I won’t have to spend a small fortune to repair them.

University of Utah football
Our Utes ended up doing very well in the BCS standings and with a very commendable record of nine wins and three losses. All three losses were to teams that were ranked higher in the BCS including two teams who ranked in the top ten in the nation.

Not a great season but a very good one nonetheless.

Go Utes. Beat Cal.

Visitors
November was a good month for visitors. We had 673 visitors come to the blog; this was up slightly from October. In the last week, we had 143 visitors who looked at 166 unique pages. The most popular page is January 1, 2007 with the current blog posting as the second most popular page.

I guess it is good to be in second place after a page full of photos of young women in skimpy bikinis. I guess it would suggest that the majority of the visitors to the blog are male

School and the School Party
The December Term is now two weeks old. So far, this is looking like it will be a good term for me. The class rosters seem to have settled down.

I do have a very large Microeconomics class with a roster of 39 students. I do expect that I will lose a couple of students when school starts again in January when they pick up their third consecutive absence. This is also my most difficult class because I have no experience with the students.

I have the same group of students, 12 in all, in two classes so it has been easy to work with them. The other nice thing about these classes is that they are program specific course so the students are more interested in coming to class regularly.

About half of the students in my other two classes are repeat students who have been in two or three of my previous classes. That makes it very easy to learn the names of the new students.

The school had its annual holiday party last night. Well, it used to be called the holiday party; now it is just called the staff appreciation dinner. The school keeps moving the venue around every year. I guess this is so that everyone gets to drive some distance each year.

This year’s party was at Long Beach’s Aquarium of the Pacific. I went by myself since I am, as Doug would say, between girl friends.

On paper, it sounded like a good idea, having the party at the Aquarium. We could have drinks and wander around the aquarium before enjoying a buffet dinner, hopefully, one with no fish dishes. Regrettably, there was a mix up with the school’s reservation and there was no wandering around. We did get passes to the aquarium if we want to come back during this week. I think I will pass on the return visit.

Fortunately for everyone, the weather was nice enough to allow us to have our drinks outside so we had a great view of part of Long Beach Harbor and the former RMS Queen Mary. Since it is December, many of the ships were displaying lights and that added to the festive nature of the evening.

The food was rather good for a buffet. It didn’t get too dried out and there was a wide variety of choices. Last night was the first time that I have seen prime rib of beef without any ribs in the slab of beef. I guess this was done so the slices of beef could be smaller or thinner. I went back for seconds on the beef.

I enjoyed myself at the party. I wished that more of the staff had shown up for the event. That would have made the evening better for me.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home