Sunday, May 09, 2010

Gray and Overcast This Morning

Gray and overcast this morning
Gray and overcast was a fitting way for me to start off my morning. I hadn’t slept all that well last night. I slept fine until around 4:00 AM when I woke up for no particular reason. I was very quiet at the flat. Then, I couldn’t fall back to sleep.

I wasted a perfectly good morning for sleeping in. I had nothing to do this morning.

Nothing.

My day did improve after the Princess called to see how my birthday went. The sun came out. I thanked her for the book and cards that she and the Golfer sent me. The book, a new one by Clive Cussler, will be very handy on Tuesday when I take the Pathfinder in for service and I sit and wait for the work to be done.

I just hope there are no screaming children in the waiting room.

The Princess and I talked about a lot of things. It was very good to catch up with the drama in her life and her work. We ended talking for almost an hour which is a long conversation for her.

I have no drama in my life.

Molly the Stylist
I had my hair cut or styled as Molly likes to say on Wednesday. I have a schedule because I am a creature of schedule of having my hair cut on the first Wednesday of each month. It makes easy for me to remember.

I stopped at the Belmont Shore Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf on my way to her salon and picked up a large ice blended for me and a large iced vanilla latte for Molly. Judging by the way she drank the latte, it seemed to agree with her very nicely.

We talked about one of our favorite common obsessions, loves, or desires, chocolate. This is becoming an all consumer subject for us when I have my haircut. I told Molly that personalized M&Ms now come in a ten pound bulk package. We talked about how they could be printed with the salon’s name on them.

Then, I noticed that Molly’s eyes seemed to sort of glaze over. I wasn’t sure if this was an anticipatory sugar high or fears that I might order her a ten pound box when I got home.

I told Molly that if I ordered her a ten pound box I would also order it with a dispenser so she could exercise some restraint.

Molly smiled.

I said that someone in the salon might end hitting the dispenser handle like a slot machine in Las Vegas. Molly failed to see the humor in that observation.

Former Student
One of my former students emailed me this week. I hadn’t spoken to her in over a year. She is applying for graduate school and asked me to write her a recommendation letter. I felt very comfortable agreeing since she was in nine or ten of my classes and did well in them.

I asked her if she wanted the “walks on water” or “gets her ankles wet” recommendations.

She said that she would love to have the “walks on water” but would be very happy with “gets her ankles wet” recommendation.

I have plenty of time to write the letter since she is going to be applying for Fall 2011.

Car Choices
I have been thinking about one of three cars for right now; a Honda Civic coupe, a Toyota Scion tc, and a Mini Cooper.

Doug and I were talking about me buying a new car yesterday.

We decided there was nothing to say or discuss about the Honda except what color to get. Doug has an Accord coupe. His mother has a Civic coupe. His sister had an Accord coupe and now drives a Civic sedan; her husband has an Element and an S2000. They all run perfectly; just like a Honda.

My experience with Toyota is favorable. We had an old Corolla and it ran perfectly. The Scion’s only drawback is that it comes only as a hatchback in the coupe model. It comes very close to the Civic and I would have expected that much.

The 2010 Mini Cooper is sportier compared to the others but it is more expensive. I suppose I could get a 2009 model if one was still around. The thing I don’t care for with the Mini is that I have to pay extra to have stuff that comes with the Civic and Scion like air conditioning. Those cars don’t have much in the way of options as far as I can tell.

I have some free time coming up this coming week while the school moves and then I have a weeklong quarter break to take a closer look at the potential car choices.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home