Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Lost February Blog Post

The Lost February Blog Post
I was in the hospital for a week after the surgery and then I was home for week before I could even think about writing for the blog. By that time, my email in-box was overflowing with student emails asking for help with assignments, copies of homework that they lost, and requests for more time to complete their work. With 100 students, the pile of assignments to read and grade managed to climb to just over an inch tall.

When I went back to teaching in February, I had two weeks to go until the end of the Winter term. Students who had previously been excellent students had slacked off and were cutting class. I had to struggle to get them ready for their final exams and course project presentations.

Using a liberal interpretation of “minimally demonstrating competency” in a subject, I was able to see that all of my students were able to pass their courses. Some passed with a grade of “D” which some of the instructors and I like to think of as “D stands for diploma.”

I think I will go back to writing in the blog beginning next week and ease into the writing. I will have to balance the blog with the new courses I am scheduled to teach this term.

This is our Spring Term and I am scheduled to teach five classes, the most that a part time instructor may teach. Three of my courses are ones that I have taught before, Microeconomics, Group Dynamics, and Research Methods. I have two new courses, Introduction to Paralegal Studies and Project Management Communications and Documentation.

Spring cannot arrive soon enough for me. My cancer medicine makes me very sensitive to the cold. I have been wearing long sleeved shirts and then a sweatshirt on top of that just to stay comfortable and I have been sleeping with two comforters on my bed. I know that I could turn on the heat in my bedroom but then I will be heating a room that may not need to be heated except for the times when I have to get out of bed in the night.

Of course, I still have my once every weeks visit with Dr. Karen the oncologist. I also have periodic, post-operation follow up appointments with the surgeons. Most of the time, I end up with Nurse Practioner Jackie who has a much nicer demeanor instead of the surgeons.

I managed to lose more weight with this surgery. I now weigh 175 pounds or 79 kilograms. I don’t think that I have weighted this much since I was in high school, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Doug was over on Thursday afternoon. He seems to be concerned about my current weight. He said, “Uh Dad, do you think you could put a belt or something? Your pants are too low on your hips and it’s creeping me out.” I told him that I would think about it.

With the weather improving here in the States, I am going to be traveling. I will go to Seattle the end of March to celebrate my daughter’s birthday. Then, in April, Doug and I will go to Salt Lake City for a fraternity event. After those trips, I am going to wait and see what happens next for me.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home