Thursday, May 13, 2010

Lunching with Doug and the new campus

Lunching with Doug and the new campus
I killed a couple of birds with my trip out to see the new campus. First, I needed to be sure how to get there. Driving in traffic on your way to teach a class is not the best of times to figure out the best route to school.

Second, I wanted to see the new campus before the students got there. True, it was sort of messy from the move.

Third, I wanted to talk with Doug about setting up a time to go look at new cars. I feel that I want to take action in June rather than wait a bit longer.

I got to the Corner Bakery area of the Block of Orange before Doug so I forced myself to sit on a bench in the warm sun and watch the passing scene and parade. It was a nice way to spend some time.

We had planned to eat at the Corner Bakery. But, it was crowded and I didn’t want to eat outside since one of my medicines says to avoid sunlight.

We ended up at the Alcatraz Brewing Company which was across the mall walkway from the Corner Bakery. As its name would imply, it is a brew pub with a San Francisco – Alcatraz Prison theme to it. The middle of the day was not prime time dinning in the brew pub so we had no trouble getting a table inside.

I ordered a turkey burger and Doug had a chicken BLT without the bacon. My turkey burger was not that great. The turkey burger at The Counter Grill is much better. Doug seemed to have enjoyed his sandwich based on how empty his plate was at the end of the meal.

We talked about going new car looking. Doug said he was game for the adventure and wondered why I was only going to look at the Toyota Scion tc and the Mini Cooper and not consider the Honda Civic. I said there was not too much that we could learn from looking at the Civic that we didn’t already know. I pointed out the 2010 Civic is substantially the same car as his mother’s 2007 Civic. The only choice with the Civic was what color to pick out.

Doug said that he could come up any day with some notice. He also said that he would have to come by my flat in the early afternoon after a stop in San Pedro at Bea’s or Bee’s Market for one of their sandwiches. One of his friends introduced him to the market and he says they make the best sandwiches in town.

My Brother
My Brother called me yesterday to wish me a Happy Birthday. He said he was late in relation to my actual birth date; but, since I have a month long celebration of all things Chuck, he felt any day in May would work.

We talked about new cars. He believes that I should buy a new car now. I’m not certain that he is on board with the idea of me buying a sporty car or not. He is an accountant after all and maybe he is just being conservative; our father was like that.

My Brother was talking about his latest painting project. He is a fine art painter and not a house painter. He said our friend George had given him a large old French frame that I suspect is rather ornate. He is painting a landscape of some mountains in Scotland and hopes to have the painting completed in another two months or so.

The new campus
I thought the new location was really nice, even if it was a little messy. I found where my classrooms are in the new building. It is nice to have everything on one floor. Parking is about the same.

The new campus is located across the street from the Block of Orange, an outdoor regional shopping center. I think it will be a very attractive nuisance and a major distraction for the students. I think they will be taking longer breaks especially during the evening classes.

The plus is there is a better selection of places to go for meals. If I get to teach a split shift, a morning class and an evening class n the same day; then I can have a very nice lunch and dessert where I don’t have to prepare the meal.

Perfectomundo.

I also finished preparing the study final examination guide for my Microeconomics class. The final exam was changed last quarter and is now harder, in my mind, since there are fewer question groups. Question groups are questions on a much related subject matter topic like Supply and Demand. This means the students will have to study more.

Personally, I believe I am wasting my time for the majority of the students. They will not bother to use the study guide let alone read the text book. They will try to get by on listening to what I said in class. Those students will probably pass the course with low grades.

Lab tests and the hospital
I went in for my lab tests in preparation for my appointment with Dr. Karen on Friday morning. I made an effort to get to the hospital early so I could find a parking spot which I did. Drawing the blood sample went fairly normal with a minimal amount of pain on my part. I will get the results on Friday.

Now that I am an old fart and eligible for Medicare, I have to change my identity card at the hospital. That was something that I tried to take care of yesterday. I think the data in the computer system was updated but the machine that embosses the cards was not functioning properly and I will have to go back on Friday. I will have time to kill after I turn in my prescription and when it will be filled.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home