Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Pathfinder

The Pathfinder
I took the Pathfinder into the dealership for service and to have the speedometer cable checked. It was time for an oil change and I haven’t really cared all that much for setting my driving speed based on the tachometer.

It turns out that I have a broken speedometer part that I will have replaced on Saturday morning. It was a special order and it won’t be in the dealership until Thursday when I’m having lunch with Doug after seeing the new campus location. Friday is my date with Dr. Karen and that takes up the whole morning when I add in time at the pharmacy waiting for my prescription to be filled.

Since I was at the dealership and I did have time to kill, I took a look at the 2010 models that were on the showroom floor. There was one special model 370Z sports car that had a sticker price of over USD$90,000. I can remember when I bought a 260Z for a little over USD$3,000 but that was a long time ago.

Then, I got serious and looked at a standard model 370Z sports car. That was sensibly priced at about USD$32,000 plus tax. That was more reasonable I suppose; compared to the special edition model it was.

The standard model was a charcoal grey hardtop model and I looked at it for a long time. I could see myself driving up Pacific Coast Highway to Santa Barbara for a late Sunday morning brunch.

Perfectomundo.

Reality brought me back to Earth.

Yes, I would love to drive a sports car like that again. But, I need to be realistic about my choices and consider a lot of other factors besides the thrill of getting behind the wheel and roaring off to the sound of Steppenwolf’s “Born to Be Wild” blasting out of the speakers.

I did drive home thinking about more modestly priced vehicles.

[Note to self: take a photo of the Pathfinder.]


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home