Wednesday, December 08, 2010

The Riders Club

The Riders Club
Doug and I went to the Riders Club in San Clemente, California for lunch on Saturday. I was at school making my course material copies before the start of school on Monday. I do this because the photocopier is usually down when the instructors need it most.

It broke down on Monday.


The Riders Club is a new, primarily hamburger, restaurant. It does have some other food like a salad and carnitas I believe. Doug and I had hamburgers. It is a very small place. I think it can seat probably twenty inside and maybe another ten to twelve outside, assuming the weather is nice. It is a come as you are place and there are no reservations.

Compared to one of the major chain hamburger places, it is more expensive. Our bill ran to $26.00. This compares very favorably to The Counter. You pay extra but you have a much better dining experience with fresher foods and a wider range of add-ons to choose from.

The Riders Club operates on a similar to The Counter where you can customize your burger with a bunch of add-ons. We both rated it better than The Counter since it is owner operated and not part of a chain.


We both loved our hamburgers. Doug added a fried egg and bacon to his. I added avocado and Havarti cheese to mine. I had planned to add Swiss cheese to mine until the cashier suggested that Havarti would taste better with the avocado. That was an excellent recommendation by the cashier; my hamburger was superb. The burgers are one third pounders and are made with only fresh meat.


Doug liked the place because they serve Coke in a glass bottle which means it was made in Mexico with the old traditional formulation that uses cane sugar and nor high fructose syrup. The Riders Club also has about two dozen craft and microbrew beers on tap. I could be wrong on the number of beers but they have a lot to select from.

For those of you who live in Southern California, you should try Coke in a glass bottle.

The only drawback to a fine roadhouse hamburger is parking. There is almost no onsite parking to speak; ok, there are four parking spots that are best suited for small and very small cars only. I drove the MINI so parking was not much of a problem for us. It would have been a real challenge if Doug drove his Honda Accord. Street parking is not much better, in part because of road construction in the immediate area.

Overall, we would give The Riders Club 5 Napkins, our highest rating.

I will probably go back to The Riders Club in the coming months. I have Saturday morning class so I am half there after I leave school.

Restaurant Ratings
We have given 5 Napkins to the following hamburger restaurants:

The Original Tommy’s Hamburgers [a rare 6th Napkin for the original Rampart and Beverly location in Los Angeles]

Fatburger

Teaching
I had my first class on Monday. It is State and Local Government. This class was a real pleasure to teach and I think it will be one of my best classes in a long time. They are lively energetic and seem to want to learn and appear willing to work unlike my last class.

Of course, I may be wrong in my initial appraisal. Lord know how many times I have been wrong before.


Be well and stay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home