Tuesday, February 15, 2005

wheel covers

I was filling my car up at the local gas station tonight and I noticed that the plastic coating on my plastic wheel covers was wearing off. This presents a decision for me.

I think I have two solutions open to me. There are probably more but I am thinking about cost mostly here.

I could just buy new wheel covers from my local Honda dealer. Normally, this would be a logical choice. But, my car is closing on being 17 years old. So, I wonder if the local dealer stocks those parts or even if they are available.

The second solution is to buy new alloy wheels. Then, The Big Guy said I would not have to worry about the wheel covers anymore. I would point out that alloy wheels are hardly inexpensive and probably one alloy wheel would buy a full set of plastic wheel covers and still leave with enough change to go to In N Out Burgers for a double double cheeseburger, fries, and a medium drink [you have to live in Southern California to understand].

The third alternative is to do nothing and not worry about the wheels for now.

I will probably buy a new car in 2007 but by then the Prelude will be 19 years old and the trade in value would not even cover half of the sales tax on a new car. It is highly likely that I will be the semi-proud owner of three cars. My insurance agent will just love those extra premiums and commissions.

Why, gentle reader, you ask would I keep a car that is 17 or 19 years?

Well, it is paid for. I get good gas mileage. It runs well. The Big Guy thinks it looks good still and so do I. The seats are easy on my back. I don't care what other people think of me when I drive it. The Prelude is fun to drive.

Right now, my next car is going to be a Mini Cooper, red with a white roof and automatic transmission. I want to have a big block "U" painted in red on the white roof. I did go to the University of Utah and red and white are the school colors.

Some of you may think it is heresy to have a sports car with an automatic transmission. I would suggest that driving in heavy stop and go traffic for a hour or more can be a real killer on a manual transmission to say nothing of your left leg. I have burned out more than one clutch from this type of driving.

So, gentle readers, what should I do?

Drive like a sports car lover with a manual transmission or drive like a sensible adult who knows much, much better.

Something to ponder over the next cup of Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf or Starbucks.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home