Sunday, March 20, 2005

Back in Los Angeles

Helloooooooo blogistas.

Your humble writer has returned from his visit to see The Princess in Atlanta. It was a memorable trip for me.

I flew to Atlanta on the red-eye flight because I figured there would be a lesser chance of small children and crying babies. I also paid the extra bucks to fly first class to further reduce the chance of loud noises during my flight.

I sure guessed wrong on both counts. There were two babies in first class. One was in a row in of me and front and two seats over to my right. The other was two rows behind and one seat to my left.

They took turns crying; off and on, all of the way to Atlanta.

The Princess asked me what I did. I said I had two Bloody Marys and a Scotch on the rocks. They helped me to relax and drown out the noises.

I should have known something was going to happen on the flight. It was an hour late leaving Los Angeles because one of the scheduled flight attendants got sick. The airline tried to call in a relief for the ill crew member. The airline had trouble finding a replacement until one of the flight attendants who was traveling as a passenger volunteered to work the flight. If she had not volunteered, then the airline would have to replace the entire crew because the cabin staff would have worked too long.

I would imagine that finding ten flight attendants who are willing to hop out of a warm bed on a Friday night and fly to Atlanta would be real difficult. Then, you have an airplane and its full load of unhappy passengers to deal with. Nasty situation there.

I hope you were out there rooting for our Utes basketball teams Saturday. The men's team beat UTEP and as a reward they got to play Oklahoma. They beat Oklahoma by 9 points on Saturday to make it into the Sweet 16 round of play. The reward for beating Oklahoma is they get to play Kentucky. If they prevail over Kentucky, they will most likely get to play Duke. The women's team won also, beating Iowa State by 12.

I had a great visit with The Princess and her Roomie and Weekend Roomie. The Weekend Roomie must be a really great friend since she only shows up on the weekends and eats a lot of the food in The Princess and the Roomie's place.

I took them to Morton's, the Steakhouse because the portions are large. I enjoy the beet there. The Princess loves their crab cakes. I asked for an extra order of crab cakes to go so The Princess and the Roomie could enjoy crab cakes while watching basketball today. The Roomie and The Princess had a chicken thing. The Weekend Roomie did the right thing and had beef.

Based on what The Princess said, most all of her friends were surprised to learn her father was simply flying into Atlanta to take his daughter and her friends out to dinner for her birthday and flying back to the Beach the next morning.

I also learned that people talk differently in the South then they do here at the Beach. I was in my hotel bar waiting for The Princess to pick me up. I waited in the bar because I could see the driveway and stay warm. Since I was the only customer or potential customer in the bar, I struck up a brief conversation with the lady bartender.

In less than three minutes, she was calling me, "Honey, Babycakes, Sweetie, Baby, and Sweet Thing." And, I had never met her before. Then, The Princess pulled up and rescued me from an obvious fate worse than death.

Fascinating.

After I landed in Los Angeles and while I was waiting for the shuttle to pick me up to take me to my car, I phoned The Princess to let her know I got home safely and to check basketball scores. The woman standing next to me at the shuttle stop gave me a sort of nasty look when I was on the phone. I guess she doesn't have children of her own and therefore would not understand why a father would call his daughter after a long flight to let her know he was safe.

I used to be tolerant of cell phone users. After the shuttle ride, I am losing my patience. There was a woman on the shuttle who was calling someone and telling the person all about her 85 year old father's medical troubles and the medical troubles of his 83 year old girl friend.

She could have at least lowered her voice. I mean I could hear clearly and learned more than I want to about being old and getting ill. And all of this was over the ambient noises of heavy traffic, a diesel engine in the shuttle, and, of course, jet aircraft taking off.

In the end, it was all well worth the time and trouble because The Princess said my coming to see her made her birthday very special.

Dads like to hear that.

And so gentle readers, I could go on and tell you more about the trip but I want to go sleep in my own bed and get a solid night's sleep. Besides, my week is likely to be dull so I can fill in on the trip over the next few days.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home