Monday, July 11, 2005

More from the Weekend

I got tired last night gentle readers and did not finish all that I had to say. I figured that I would not have too much to write today because I was scheduled to be in meetings for most of the day.

The Father's Day Celebration at Morton’s Steakhouse in Costa Mesa was excellent on Saturday. I got a little hung up in traffic but still got to the restaurant in time for the meal. The Princess and the Big Guy arrived ahead of me and held our table.

The Big Guy and I had fun with our server Amy. We had Amy as our server before for my birthday dinner during Chuckay [end of May blogs]. We were nodding our heads yes to some of her menu suggestions and shaking our heads no to others. Amy laughed at us and then picked up what we were saying with out gestures. The shaking heads meant that we would never consider that recommendation so there was no need to talk about it.

Amy helped make our meal memorable; she even found extra scoops of ice cream for my dessert, flowerless chocolate cake. The flowerless chocolate cake was just perfect.

As we all know, chocolate is life.

For the record, Amy was properly taken care of with her tip. At least, I think she recognized our appreciation when she saw the amount and then said something like, “Ohmygod.”

Moving along, I was stuffed when I got home. I did sleep very well Saturday night. I also did not eat very much on Sunday.

The Princess flew home on Sunday to Atlanta. She was worried about the flight and Hurricane Dennis [she hates to fly]. We had talked about her flight for several days before take-off so she was less apprehensive. The Princess also had an idea of when and where the rough weather would be and that helped to lower her stress levels.

I packed the Princess a bag of food since the airlines do not provide anything that resembles food. I picked up a small submarine sandwich, a liter of water, a large chocolate candy bar, a container of peanuts, an energy bar, and a container of potato chips. It has all of the essential food groups including all of the bad ones. She does not starve when I pack her flight lunch. What doesn’t get eaten on the plane gets consumed at home with her roommate Emily.

Speaking of Emily, she should have cracked open one of the fresh bags of coffee this morning. I wonder if she opened the Jamaica Blue Mountain or the Kona coffees.

I think I have told you before that I am a loan office for a commercial bank in Southern California. From time to time, we get really interesting loan request stories. I will share one of them with you.

One of our branch managers called me last week to ask if we would consider granting a short term loan, about two or three weeks long, to a new company that we knew nothing about. The loan was to be secured with an assignment of a letter of credit. On the surface, it seemed like a logical deal.

I think it was a scam and that the letter of credit was a phony. The proposed applicant said that they had been given a $5 million line of credit by a local bank to start up their new business of importing hand cranked cell phone and flashlight chargers.

I could see how the scam would unfold. We would advance money against the security of the letter of credit. The money and the borrowers would be long gone when we discovered the letter of credit was a fake.

Call me silly or naïve; but, wouldn’t you think that a bank that popped for $5 million would be good for a couple of thousand more? I would think so. That was a dead giveaway. If one bank has given you a bunch of money, you don’t go to a bank that you have no connection with for more money.

The proposed borrower went on to ask our branch manager about getting a loan for a whole bunch of money from the bank to buy a resort in Antigua. We are a local bank, we only lend in the good ol’ U.S. of A.

I know I would have no trouble in finding volunteers who would be willing to fly to Antigua to check out the resort that we would be financing. The volunteer would probably want to stay at the resort for a week or so just to be able to check everything out.

In the end, I suggested to the branch manager that she should be very careful with this group if they open an account with the bank. I also said the proposed borrowers could be better served at Bank of America or Wells Fargo Bank.

Some days, it almost pays to stay in bed.

Tomorrow ought to be a more interesting day. I hope your tomorrow is an excellent one for you.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home