Sunday, July 10, 2005

Weekend Update

Well gentle readers, it is the end of the weekend for me and that means it is time for another Weekend Update blog posting. The posting is mostly a rambling collection of observations and event.

On Thursday, we had the tragedy in London. That limited and rightly so my desire to toss out some humorous observations. I continue to sympathize with the Londoners and the citizens of the United Kingdom. I am confident that they will overcome this event.

I was very happy to see that London won the right to host the 2012 Olympics. I was even happier that New York City lost and lost badly in the voting. New York City seems to have this self serving, all importance, arrogant attitude that just rubs me so wrongly. I can not stand the New Yorkers belief that their city deserved the bid just because they submitted one. They are a bunch of people that do not want to work for the goals.

Paris is still waiting after twenty years of submitting bids. Let New York submit bids for twenty years and then maybe they can be considered.

But, a successful bid requires a unified city and New York is anything but that. They couldn’t even get a local state senator to support the key stadium project because he felt it would divert state construction money away from his district.

That, my friends, is anything but what a world class city would do.

I thought it was particularly cool that the Londoners celebrated the bid award in Trafalgar Square. 200 years ago Lord Nelson, with an outnumbered English fleet, decisively beat the combine French and Spanish fleets at Trafalgar. He must have been smiling when Madrid and Paris lost to London.

The Big Guy’s continuing saga with his Story Structure class is over. Gentle readers, you will remember, no doubt, the on-going discussion in these pages about how unfair his instructor was in grading. It is all over now, including the shouting. The Big Guy earned a 4.0 [highest mark] on his final paper and a 4.0 mark for the class. We are both happy that this course is over. It also means he is out of Summer School until the regular session starts up in August.

The Big Guy is planning to make a trip to Amoeba Music this week and include a swing past Dads’ office for lunch. We will not be going to the same place that I took The Princess and her best friend Kim. We will go to a more informal place that tolerates shorts and tee-shirts and unshaven faces. The other place also serves large and tasty hamburgers while The Belvedere does not; this is a key point for the Big Guy.

For those of you that are not in Southern California, Amoeba Music is a huge CD and DVD store. They have one of the largest selections of his type of music. I would explain what his type of music is but I am unsure of how to describe it. If you visit his blog site, http://skeetonmischa.blogspot.com, I am highly confident that you will be able to form an opinion of what he likes to listen to.

I had to pick up some coffee for The Princess’ roommate, Emily. Em likes the coffee from a local company, the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, better than what she can find in Atlanta. I selected two pounds that looked like good stuff and asked to have them ground so Em would be able to avoid having to do this. The pre-ground coffee can be a real time saver in the morning.

The counter clerk asked me if the ground coffee “was for here or to go?” I said to go. Wasn’t it sort of obvious that the ground coffee was for consumption at some other place? I certainly did not have an empty coffee pot and kettle of boiling water with me.

Maybe it was too, too early in the morning for the counter clerk.

I think I mentioned to you all a while ago about the building next to my office building that is being torn down.

Anyway, on Friday afternoon, I was looking out of my window while I was talking to a co-worker about the status of a common project we are working on. I noticed that a small portion of the roof was on fire, apparently from some welding work. Since the building is only a concrete shell now, there was not too much damage that could be done.

My co-worker got concerned and said shouldn’t I hang up and call the fire department. I said I could but that since there are two twenty story building that over look the deconstruction site, I was reasonably confident that I was not the only person who was looking out of an office window on a Friday afternoon. Someone else surely must have seen the fire and reported it.

Sure enough, some workers showed up. They had been cleaning up and were probably on their way home for the weekend. They spent about an hour soaking the roof section with water and tearing it up so there were no more burning embers.

I was glad no one called the fire department because the trucks would have just made a horrible mess of the Friday afternoon going home traffic. No one wants that and there was not too much of any danger.

The Princess and her friends Kim and Sara took the Take No Prisoners Tour to South Orange County. She said they had a great time playing with young men’s emotions. The Princess did acknowledge that it seemed likely that Kim took at least one prisoner. I guess I will feel sorry for him.

I think this should about cover it as far as the Weekend Update goes. I still have the Fathers’ Day celebration and I can save that for tomorrow’s posting.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home