Thursday, June 30, 2005

It's the end of the week for me

Well, gentle readers; it is the end of the week for me. I am taking tomorrow off as a vacation day. I won’t actually be loafing around at home. I have lots of things to do and places to go.

I will allow myself the luxury of sleeping in until maybe 6:30 AM. That sounds so slothful that it seems like the right thing to do.

First, I have to go see my doctor for a routine blood test so he can renew my cholesterol prescription. I am also asking him to drain a ganglion cyst on the top of my wrist. The cyst looks ugly and does not cause me any discomfort. I figured now would be a good time to get it taken care of.

After that, I have go fill the gas tank on my Pathfinder truck so the Princess can drive it when she is home this coming week on her vacation. She also wants me to have it washed so it will look nice when she drives it.

Sometimes I feel like a car rental agency.

I don’t see why it needs to be washed since she plans on driving to Las Vegas, across the desert with its dust and dirt as part of her vacation. I think she and her best girl friend from high school are going to meet up in Las Vegas with another friend from graduate school.

I feel sorry for any men that they happen to meet. I don’t think that they take any prisoners or, if they do, they do not follow the rules of the Geneva Convention.

The Princess is due to arrive in Los Angeles around noon, local time, tomorrow. She said that I could take her to lunch when I pick her up in the clean truck with the full gas tank at the airport. If I am lucky and nice, I may get to take her shopping. The Princess loves to shop with someone else’s money.

Last night while I was writing my blog posting, I was chatting with a young Chinese woman from Guangzhou. She is becoming more Westernized and assertive since we first started chatting nearly two years ago.

Ling and I first started chatting when she was a student in Hubei. I have made an effort to exchange IM conversations with non-English speaking students so they can improve their grasp of the English language. I think it is important since it helps to break down barriers between different people. I also helped one of her friends with an essay that was part of an application to a U.S. graduate school.

The Big Guy and I were talking yesterday about a Summer project that he and his writing friend from community college want to pursue. I am not certain if the Top Secret Project is supposed to be a comedy or a drama or a dramedy [dramatic comedy] or an action-adventure film. I think the concept has legs and it makes sense.

Of course, as the Big Guy says, I am probably one of the few adults around who understands the main concept. I guess that must come from going to the movies with him so often.

Here’s a thought for the day. It’s not my idea; it comes from comedian George Carlin.

Right now in Iraq, they are trying to get their shit together and write a constitution. I don’t think they are capable of doing that because no one there understands democracy very well.

I think we should let them copy our Constitution.

Just think about it for a moment.

Our Constitution was written by a bunch of really smart men, a major selling point in a Muslim country. They don’t have to use all of the Amendments; they can stop after the first ten Amendments. It has worked for over 200 years. And, lastly, we aren’t using it all that much these days so we can spare it.

When the Big Guy and I went to the cinema on Sunday to see LAND OF THE DEAD, I saw a number of young women wearing these sheepskin boots [Uug brand boots] in the middle of Summer. What’s wrong with this picture? Hello people. It’s Southern California, it’s Summer; girls wear sandals and not sheepskin lined boots.

The Big Guy said that it was a fashion statement thing for the women. Then, he shrugged in a “whatever” manner and moved on to the next topic which was how much longer until his sister would arrive home. He wanted to know how long he could delay cleaning up her room that he uses to write in. When I told him five days, he seemed relieved.

We had a going away party at work today for one of the film finance guys. I enjoyed working with him and I hope he will be happy in his new position. It was a pot luck lunch. I brought the salad I described yesterday; it was very popular and I received a lot of positive comments about it. I stayed around through the lunch portion and then I went back to work, or I tried to go back to work.

My office is next door to the main conference room where the party was staged. It was noisy with the karaoke machine and the crowd. Dancing on the table top can be distracting sometimes. It was a struggle for me to keep my mind on my work. I managed to polish off a couple of minor, but important to one of my big bosses, tasks this afternoon.

I made sure he knew I was working and not goofing off at the party. I am pretty certain he knew there was going to be long going away party. The event lasted almost three hours. A couple of former co-workers even dropped in to say good bye.

It was a very good farewell party in my mind.

On this happy note, I think I will pack in it for the weekend.

Here is a programming reminder for you. The Weekend Update will not appear until Monday sometime because of the Independence Day holiday weekend.

If you enjoy your freedom, thank a veteran.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home