Sunday, September 24, 2006

Weekend Update

Visitors
I decided to put the Visitor comment section in the front of the blog so I wouldn’t miss it or forget to put it in the blog.

This past week was good for foreign visitors. We had visitors from Israel, Texas [2], Philippines [2], Canada [3], United Kingdom [4], Italy, Taiwan [2], Hong Kong, Germany, Costa Rica, Chile, Romania, Belgium, Japan, Turkey, Singapore and Spain. I think this is best foreign viewership week since I began to keep track of this sort of thing.

We also had a larger number of curious viewers.

I define a curious viewer as one who spends more than ten minutes on the site at any one time. I don’t count cumulative visits because that would be too time consuming for me. We had four curious viewers lat week; one was here for eleven minutes, another for twenty one minutes, an amazing third visitor who spent thirty three minutes reading five blog posting, and the fourth who spent an incredible thirty four minutes reading ten blog postings.

Thank you for stopping by and I hope you went away feeling happy.

Tech Support
Pop Quiz: How many of you out there have ever had the urge to just want to pop someone in tech support?

Just raise your hands.

I though so; every one of us has had the urge at one time or another. It doesn’t matter what company was involved with the crummy tech support issue. The feeling is universal.

A friend of mine sent me a video clip of an unhappy HP printer customer in Iraq this morning. The customer complained on the clip that he was mad about HP wanting him to pay them so they could tell him how to fix his all-in-one printer wouldn’t print. He made the excellent point by saying that he was in Iraq defending their [HP’s] freedom.

I was completely sympathizing with him. I knew his frustration and I could feel his anger. I resolved my personal HP p-o-s printer problem by driving over to the local Office Depot and picking whatever was on sale at the time. The customer, being in Iraq for a one year tour of duty, didn’t have the luxury.

The customer, a United States Army infantry captain, being in Iraq, could also vent his frustration far, far better and much more effectively than you or I could ever do.

The clip showed him taking one of his unit’s M-73 light machine guns and blasting the printer to pieces.

That was so, so completely satisfying for me.

I laughed.

I cried.

I applauded.

The final scenes of the clip showed the printer in pieces with a voice over that said something like “that was a piece of shit printer.”

I wonder how the folks at HP in Palo Alto feel about this commercial that is probably going all over the Internet by now. I have already forwarded to a dozen of my friends.



The University of Utah won again last night in Jack Murphy Stadium in San Diego. Yes, I know it is now called Qualcomm Stadium. I just can’t get used to the newer name so don’t everyone write in and point out I got the stadium name wrong.

Our Utes, our being the Princess and me, beat San Diego State University in a Mountain West Conference game 38 to 7. It looks like it was a defensive football game with Eric Weddle, the Mountain West’s Defensive Player of the Year in 2005, returning two interceptions for touchdowns. San Diego did put together a better rushing game than Utah and San Diego had a slightly longer time of possession than Utah.

Brent Ratliff only had one touchdown pass in the game where the defense bent but did not break except for a first quarter touchdown.

In the end, San Diego could not push the ball across the goal line.

Next week is Homecoming for Utah. They will play Boise State University [4-0, Western Athletic Conference] at Rice Eccles Stadium. It should be a high scoring game.

Woman of the Moment
I decided to include a couple of my favorite photos of other Women of the Moment today. I’m sure you will recognize Cora Linn and KT So and the Hankook Tire Girls. It seemed like a nice way to start of Fall.









My Brother
Happy Birthday. Enjoy your life and be well and stay happy.

El Gringo
I decided to go to El Gringo earlier in the day for a combination late lunch and early dinner. I think I will be less bloated by the time I go to bed tonight.


This was my lunch – dinner today,a Mexican Pizza. A Mexican Pizza is made with layers of fried tortillas filled with ground beef, cheese, enchilada sauce, beans, and topped with cilantro, tomatos, onions, and sour cream. As you can plainly see, this is a large meal and one that had to be eaten with a fork. There was no way you could pick it up with your fingers.

This is me enjoying my meal.


This is Aleasa, the El Gringo Girl, who was my server. She was impressed enough with the Mexican Pizza to try it for herself. She shared with her girl friend and said it was very good. I thought so too.


Oh, for the record, Aleasa, and I don’t know how to spell her name properly so this spelling is a guess, said she doesn’t smile for photos. I can accept that. Aleasa also likes heavy metal music.


Dissertation
My Dissertation Committee meeting went very well for me on Friday.

My Committee Chair accepted my revised Chapter One. That was a major accomplishment for me. I now have an idea of what he wants in my dissertation. He is only one member of the Committee; but, since he is Dean of the School of Business and Information Technology, his opinions do care some additional weight with the other members.

We talked about one of the potential problems that I saw earlier. This had to do with a secondary survey question. There were a number of solutions and he accepted the one that I proposed and that was to narrow the scope of the research project to only consider community banks in the state of California or Kallyfornya as our Governator likes to call the state. This was great for me because instead of having to survey around 425 community banks in eleven states I only have to survey 190 California community banks.

I won’t bore you with a longer explanation of the dissertation because I doubt any of you would be interested in it. Further, it is on a very narrow banking topic so some of you might fall asleep if I wrote about it.

Lakai Skateboard Shoes
I didn’t get to the Lakai Skateboard Shoe store at Laguna Surf & Sand on Friday. Traffic was borderline crummy on the 405 non-Freeway on Friday afternoon. I had one other stop make in addition to LS&S.

As I was stopped for a moment on the non-Freeway, I did the mental calculations about time, speed, and distance and concluded I could not do all three activities in one trip. Since my current pair of Lakais was not falling apart, I decided to forego them for the time being. I have plenty of time to purchase a new pair.

Job Searching and Interviewing
I received a call from the bank where my friend Sharon used to work on Friday. The hiring manager wanted to set up a telephone interview. As it turned out, our schedules were a mess and I suggested that Monday or Tuesday might be better times to talk.


That was my weekend gentle readers. I hope your weekends were good and I hope you all have successful and productive weeks.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home