Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Wednesday

Wednesday
It’s Wednesday today and that means the week is half over. That’s good. I didn’t get very much accomplished today. I did get out to the market and I did buy food and other stuff. I feel really good about cashing in coupons today. I saved almost 50% of the total price of the food.

Michelle the Stylist
Michelle the Stylist has been cutting my hair for almost four years now. She says she styles my hair and then she says I wear it in a boring, old man style. I pointed out that I am old. Michelle ignores my logic and arguments.

More to the point, I had to get my hair cut today. It was getting on the ratty side and really long. I was not looking forward to this because I would be having my hair cut by a stranger who had no idea how I liked my hair.

Sure enough, the woman who cut my hair was a complete stranger. I had never seen her before. I knew that I was going to be unhappy with the result. When I sat down in the chair, my hair was just the way I like it.

That was not good enough for her. She proceeded to change my hair to a style that she must have liked.

So much for thinking about the customer.

Then she asked me how I wanted my hair cut. I said that I wanted a trim all over because I was satisfied with the way it looked. I said to cut off about a quarter of an inch / half a centimeter. She proceeded to cut off, on average, more like an inch / two centimeters, based on the cuttings that I could see. This was not what I wanted to have happen.

On my way out of the salon, I did learn that Michelle had a daughter, Isabella Rose, three weeks ago today. Her daughter’s name struck me as unusual and older sounding. I suppose there were some family names involved.

Woman of the Moment
Today marks the half way point in Yukie Nakama’s tour of duty as Woman of the Moment. I have five more days after today until the next change over.





My Friend Sharon
My friend Sharon called me this afternoon from Wisconsin. She was having a good time on her trip so far.

Sharon mostly wanted to know how my interview went. We talked about it and she shared my views that it appeared to go well and that things looked promising for me. She wants me to get hired so I can hire her to work for me in the department.

I told her that I would have to grow the function before I could even think about hiring her or anyone else. A lot of time and water may pass under the bridge before I can grow the business large enough to be able to add anyone else.

I asked Sharon for her thoughts on Vivian’s idea of having a feature for the female readers once in a while. She thought it was a good idea; but, when asked for a name of a male actor, she needed more time to think about whom to nominate.

The Navigator
Doug calls me the Navigator because I know my way around Los Angeles.

Back when he was in high school and before he had the Marissa Couper [his Honda Accord Coupe] with satellite navigation, he used to call me for directions on how to get somewhere. He used Map Quest.com but didn’t trust their directions because they were based on the straight time and distance involved and did not consider the subtleties of time of day and direction of travel.

Doug called me this afternoon because he wanted to know where California Highway 70 is located. His Monday class was cancelled because his professor was stuck on Highway 70.

I told him that I had never heard of Highway 70 and suggested that it might be typo and that his professor meant to type Highway 60 and hit the wrong key. Highway 60 would have made sense assuming his professor was going to campus from the Westside of Los Angeles.

Later, I checked in my version of Microsoft Streets and Trips and my print copy of the Los Angeles Country street maps. I was unable to find any Highway 70 in Los Angeles County.

I wonder where his professor was.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home