Tuesday, October 17, 2006

300 Million Americans

300 Million Americans
I heard on the television news this morning that the United States has 300 million people, more or less, living here.

I pondered that number. Frankly, it bothered me. The thought that a lot of them will want to live in sunny and warm Southern California because warm and sunny is so much better than windy and rainy and snowy was troubling. That will make our highways, no parking lots, even more crowded. Traffic will flow at the rate of molasses.

I may have been too generous with the flow model.

A good number of those people who move to Southern California will want to visit our sandy beaches in the Summer. Traffic in my part of the world will collapse because there simply isn’t enough room for many more people on the weekends.

I suppose I could rent out my second parking spot in the building on an hourly basis to people who are willing to walk the short distance, less than a mile or two kilometers, to the beach.

Of course, I might want to leave the crowds so that would mean I would have to hire an attendant to watch the second parking spot. That would consume my profits.

So much for my plan to make some quick money.

I suppose that I ought to be upset that there will be around 400 million in the country around 2045 or so. While I would enjoy living a long and productive life, I think that 100 might be more than enough of a long and productive life.

Living to 100 would make it certain that I would have amply opportunity to spoil any and all grandchildren. That idea is strangely compelling for me.

Observations on Relationships
It’s hard to kiss the lips at night that chew your ass out all day long.”

This may be part of irregular series of observations on relationships.

Woman of the Moment
Mercedes Terrell is a product of warm and sunny Southern California. And to think, some people only thought of Southern California as being the land of nuts and fruits and shakes.



Doug
I was talking to Doug this morning, mostly about his Introduction to Film Studies class and his professor.

I make a donation to the American Film Institute annually. I don’t get many benefits from the donation except for some discount tickets to the AFI Los Angeles International Film Festival. I don’t want to go to the screenings but I thought Doug might find one or more of them interesting. We’ll talk about the screenings on Friday when I go out behind the Orange Curtain on Friday.

I suggested that we might want to hit the Tower Records going out of business bankruptcy sale and see if there are any interesting DVDs to purchase at a good price. Doug thought that was a good idea. I did have to point out that there may be lots of DVDs for sale but none that we would want to include on our collections.

Good point Dad.

Dissertation
I also plan to see my Dissertation Committee chair on Friday and talk to him about my Chapter 2. I sent him an early draft of on section of the chapter to review. I want to be certain that my approach to the chapter is correct; I don’t want to write one hundred or more pages only to be told that I have to do a massive cut and paste to fix things.

My Friend Elaine
I emailed my friend Elaine who lives in Hawaii, on the Big Island, after I heard about the earthquake on Sunday. Naturally, I was concerned for her safety.

Elaine and James, her husband, had me stay with them when I went to Hawaii on a vacation a couple of years ago. James is an excellent builder so I thought the house would be safe plus it is built on an ancient lava flow so the ground is solid.

The only damage that they suffered appeared to have been their old television set which exploded. Elaine said she was looking forward to buying a new and bigger flat screen television set. It was easier to justify the purchase now.

Netscape Navigator
I use Netscape Navigator as my alternative web browser.

Actually, I only use Navigator to cut and paste my blog postings. I write my blogs in MS Word and then copy them into the blog site. I used to be able to do that when I used Earthlink.net as my ISP. When I switched to Verizon.net, I couldn’t do that any more so I had to use Navigator.

This is such a pain. Anyway.

I downloaded the latest version of Navigator, 8.1.2, recently; the one cool feature of this version is you can adopt what Netscape calls the “Winscape” display style. Winscape looks substantially like the Internet Explorer that I use all of the time. I like this because I don’t have to remember two different programs now.

Carbon Dating Myself
I can remember when everyone used Netscape, as it was called then, as the web browser of choice.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home