Thursday, October 19, 2006

Weekend Preview - October 19th

Deutschland
The last two days, the blog has been visited by the Germans in droves not seen since the time of the Huns.

Well, maybe not that many but the Germans have visited in large numbers. My blog is never going to win any traffic awards so I can get excited over visitor count. Yesterday, we had over 130 visitors; I think around 110 to 115 were from Germany. 130 visitors was a good week’s traffic for the blog. When I checked the visitor count today, before I posted today’s blog, we were at 180 and climbing.

There were also a dozen or more visitors from an Unknown Country. I checked and a number of these Unknown Country people spoke German and that leads me to conclude they were probably from Germany.

Side note, I get nervous whenever a visitor shows up at the blog from an Unknown Country. Wouldn’t the visitor know which country he or she is from?

Fascinating.

The visitors seem to have come from all over Germany; Berlin, Schleswig-Holstein, Hamburg, Bremen, Hessen, Bayern, and Baden-Wurttemberg.

Naturally, all of the visitor traffic got me thinking. What did I say that was so compelling to cause this many visitors to drop into the blog? I don’t think I said much that was all that interesting or compelling.

It could have been because of Mercedes Terrell. I happened to talk with Doug today and told him about the surge in visitors. Doug agreed with me that Mercedes Terrell was an excellent reason to visit the blog. This would be a reasonable conclusion since none of the visitors stayed very long once they got here.

I don’t think it’s because I have a German last name. Doug thought this could be an explanation. If that were the case, then I would expect his blog, skeetonmischa, would have a large German following but it doesn’t. His blog has about 4.0% of the visitors coming from Germany.

For the record, the family, ten in all, came over from Thalburgel in the Grand Duchy of Sachsen – Weimer – Eisenach in 1852. One of the eight children served in the Union Army during our Civil War and died on the battlefield in Charleston, West Virginia in 1864.

I suppose that the visits may be the result of an Internet search gone wrong.

I would like to know why you happened to visit the blog so if you have the time; please make a comment and let me know.

Woman of the Moment
Since I was talking about our, Doug and me, favorite chauffer, now would be a good time to place her here. I’m glad to see that Mercedes’ career is doing well so she can afford to appear in more than one bikini.



Windows Live Messenger
I was using Windows Live Messenger until yesterday when I took it out of the laptop. I recall that it was supposed to be better, faster, more feature filled than the old programs it replaced.

It stopped working for me. I couldn’t log on to Windows Live Messenger even though the program tray icons blinked off and on for six hours with no success. Six hours seems like a long enough time to successfully log in or at least generate a reasonable error code message.

I downloaded the old Windows Messenger 4.7 version and it connected to the Internet almost instantaneously. It could be have been a bit slower but it was much, much faster than six hours.

I think I will stay with this version of Windows Messenger for as long as I can. It works for me and I can chat. Chatting is the only reason for having the program as far as I am concerned.

Vivian’s Man of the Moment

I sent Vivian a reminder for her Man of the Moment this morning. She replied and said that she had thought of a man but later forgot him. He must not have been all that memorable for her. Vivian said she would try to remember his name.

For a moment, I briefly entertained the idea of suggesting myself. I changed my mind because that would be too presumptuous of me.

Weekend Preview
Doug and I did talk today and we confirmed part of the weekend’s activities for me.

He and I will have lunch at one of our favorite places, Albertacos. I am leaning towards a Number 8 and a medium drink. That should fill me up nicely. Albertacos is in Mission Viejo and just down the hill from Saddleback Community College where spent several semesters.

I would hope there won’t be a large college crowd there on one hand while I do enjoy gazing at young college women who will probably be in shorts since the weather forecast is sunny and the temperature is supposed to be around 85F / 29C.

After lunch, we plan to go to his local Tower Records store for their bankruptcy liquidation sale. Tower does carry the Criterion line of DVDs and we are hoping we can pick up some more classic DVDs at a favorable price. I have my lists of DVDs to acquire but I doubt that the store will have any of them for sale. Instead, I may end up with some copies of recent film releases that I enjoyed first seeing on the big screen in my local multi-plex cinema.

On my way home to the Beach, I will swing past school and talk to my Committee Chair. Hopefully, this won’t be too long of a meeting. If things go well, he hopefully will like the structure of the dissertation and will be able to give me some guidance on the creation of some archival data.

Then, everything slows down on Saturday and Sunday.

The only event for the weekend proper is a late lunch – early dinner at El Gringo on Sunday. I also want to watch my Japanese samurai epic drama on Saturday; I missed last week’s show when I went to the play.


I hope you all have a wonderful weekend gentle readers.

Be well and stay happy.

1 Comments:

Blogger freethoughtguy said...

Ta-ta Tower, hello iPod!

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home